laughing.....dangerous?

Human Anatomy, Physiology, and Medicine. Anything human!

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

jnkdna
King Cobra
King Cobra

laughing.....dangerous?

Post by jnkdna » Tue Nov 08, 2005 12:51 pm

hi! a friend of mine(really smart girl!!) told me that clicking your fingers & laughing can destroy your brain cells! is that true?

mith
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by mith » Tue Nov 08, 2005 6:23 pm

I don't think so.....
Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
~Niebuhr

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:19 pm

Actually laughing is very healthy for you. it stimulates your methabolism, boosts your immune system etc
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

munkeyzrox28
Garter
Garter

Post by munkeyzrox28 » Wed Nov 09, 2005 2:31 am

I heard that laughing can help u lose weight...................HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!! I'm laughing cuz i'm trying to lose weight.......it was a joke.....yeah......:)

thecow135
Garter
Garter

Post by thecow135 » Wed Nov 09, 2005 3:33 am

lol that was a funny joke.

i believe thatlaughing helps you to become healthier and also helps you to grow.

but seriously... people dont laugh at my jokes for sum reason. they think itl kill them =P

nah they juss dont like me
CUZ EVERYBODY NOE THAT THE GAME DONT STOP TRY TO MAKE IT TO THE TOP

jnkdna
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by jnkdna » Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:58 am

munkeyzrox28 wrote:I heard that laughing can help u lose weight...................HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!! I'm laughing cuz i'm trying to lose weight.......it was a joke.....yeah......:)

hey does it really help u 2 lose weight? cuz that same girl says she wanna lose weight! she'd die if i told her that laughing was healthy! hehe

tnx a lot every1! i'll tell her 2moro that she was wrong! 8)

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Wed Nov 09, 2005 6:37 pm

Yes you can lose weight. extra muscle activity requires extra ATP. If i remember correctly for each minute you laugh you burn 4 calories
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

biostudent84
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by biostudent84 » Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:58 pm

If by "clicking your fingers," you mean "cracking your knuckles," then there is a large amount of evidence that says that this depletes the cartilage in your joints, thereby eventually causing arthritis. But this has not yet been proven. Although...err...it can't destroy brain cells...

BiologyIs4Life
Garter
Garter

Post by BiologyIs4Life » Fri Dec 02, 2005 3:40 am

MrMistery wrote:Yes you can lose weight. extra muscle activity requires extra ATP. If i remember correctly for each minute you laugh you burn 4 calories

I shall laugh 24 hours straight one day and experiment :D Although there wouldn't be much left of my facial expression muscles,especially near my lips! LOL...just imagine...losing all that weight but having a crooked face...ewww not pretty LOL...plus If it were true that one were to lose weight by laughing...wouldn't it just be near the head and neck areas?! :P Maybe the stomach and abdomine as well as it tends to strain when you laugh too hard...ever experience that?! lol...
hahahahahah
hahahahahaha
ahhahahahahahahahaha 8)

scottyiu
Coral
Coral

Post by scottyiu » Sat Dec 03, 2005 1:16 pm

Just asking --> doesn't frowning use more muscles? so doesn't frowning lose you more weight?

Another thing --> So does the sound from cracking your knuckles made from the depletion of the cartilage in your joints?
This forum is so cool

victor
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by victor » Sat Dec 03, 2005 1:25 pm

actually laughing is healthy as long as you know how long you laugh...the healthy mechanisms are:
-we use more facial muscles when laughing so it's good for our facial muscles (i think about 74 muscles), and also, it helps the 7th cranial nerve (facial nerve) to react....

-helps the regulation of our hormone, whether they're adrenaline, noradrenaline, cortisol, phenylethylamine..etc...

-maintain the blood pressure

-maintain the nutrition regulation between cells and many mooore....

so, don't be afraid to laugh..... :lol:
Q: Why are chemists great for solving problems?
A: They have all the solutions.

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Sat Dec 03, 2005 3:48 pm

Well, if the information i have is good, than you must understand that 4 calories equals one gram of carbs. So you don't really lose weight. And if you do you lose like 3 grams/day :)