Is a two day human embryo, a human baby?

Discussion of all aspects of cellular structure, physiology and communication.

Moderators: Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

segarama
Garter
Garter

Is a two day human embryo, a human baby?

Post by segarama » Sun Nov 06, 2005 6:42 pm

November 6, 2006

:shock: Is a two day human embryo a human baby....or any more a human baby than an egg and sperm that have not consummated? We might say that a consummated human egg (embryo) is closer to a baby than an egg and sperm separately...maybe?...but then is an embryo real life like your nine year old son or daughter who could possibly be save from a terminal disease by the use of the embryonic stem cell that is slated for destruction. I have the highest respect for life....but real life that is a human being.
Best to you,
Rob :shock:
Rob

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Sun Nov 06, 2005 6:55 pm

Check the stages of development in human. I believe they are as follows
0-3 months: embryo
3-6 months: fetus
6-9 months and after: baby

Also check our thread called "When does life begin". You can use the search function to find it
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

mikki
Garter
Garter

Post by mikki » Sun Nov 06, 2005 7:44 pm

When does life begin is a controversial issue. Try looking at Roe vs. Wade and you will see that the Supreme Court didn't even want to touch that one.
In the Beginning there was nothing, which exploded.

senkhisis
Garter
Garter

Post by senkhisis » Sun Nov 06, 2005 11:10 pm

A human sperm and egg that have not fused are just gametes, only containing n of 2n chromosomes.

At the two day mark, it is technically still just a zygote and not a morula.

segarama
Garter
Garter

Use of Embryonic stem cells...that are to be disgarded.

Post by segarama » Mon Nov 07, 2005 1:30 am

November 6, 2005

:shock: Notwithstanding the age of the embryonic stem cell that is going to be disgarded, do you have any problems using this science to use the embryonic stem cell to replace a vital moribund organ in a 4 year old child? You realize that it must grow into a vital organ to replace the dying organ.....this takes time. How much time does the four year old child have? You must have an opinion....Will you share it with us?
Best to you,
Rob :shock:
Rob

mikki
Garter
Garter

Post by mikki » Wed Nov 09, 2005 3:54 am

I'm all for it! Yeah! (in the name of science). That is just f*cking impressive. Sorry for the language but no other word would suffice.

iri_black
Coral
Coral

Post by iri_black » Thu Nov 10, 2005 6:36 am

I believe there is nothing wrong with using embryonic stem cells in that case. On the other hand, i'm all for euthanasia in terminal stages of cancer, so maybe my opinion should not be regarded :wink:
"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort" - H. Albright