gene mutations

Genetics as it applies to evolution, molecular biology, and medical aspects.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

biohope
Garter
Garter

gene mutations

Post by biohope » Wed Nov 02, 2005 6:03 pm

i was wondering just exactly how does a gene mutation form? i understand that most of the mutations today can be traced almost to where they started. but what triggered the gene to produce the wrong proteins? how do scientist trace back gene mutations over thousands of years?

Morris
Death Adder
Death Adder

Post by Morris » Wed Nov 02, 2005 10:05 pm

A gene mutation has more origins: errors in replcation, DNA damages, spontaneous....
Gene produces wrong proteins only for errors: because wrong proteins or badly folded are harmful for organism; I think there isn't a "will" of the gene to produce wrong proteins. Infact region that have important function in a protein or gene doesn't mutate; mutate only region not very important, for evolution.
They use bioinformatics: by it you can compare sequences correlated by evolution by preservation of regions; but regions if mutations isn't harmfuk for the function mutate a bit; comparing various sequences with small mutations you can rebuild the first sequence they derive from.

biohope
Garter
Garter

Post by biohope » Wed Nov 02, 2005 11:31 pm

yeah but why hasn't evolution weeded out the harmful mutations? could it be that a mutation on gene HFE that causes the iron overload of hemochromatosis could have at one time protected people from say something like anemia? and since most of these mutations are recessive, if a person has a single copy they can still be protected but not harmed by the consquences of harmful diseases? and then passing that one single copy via reproduction to their offspring would help ensure their survival. today, with modern medicine, that means nothing. but back thousands of years ago..could it of been some sort of advantage?