Oxygen and respiration

Discussion of all aspects of cellular structure, physiology and communication.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

Sparkles
Garter
Garter

Oxygen and respiration

Post by Sparkles » Wed Nov 02, 2005 7:08 am

The oxygen consumed during respiration is directly involved in:

a. Glycolysis.
b. Accepting electrons at the end of the electron transport chain.
c. The Krebs cycle.
d. The oxidation of pyruvate.
e. The formation of ATP from

I'm thinking (b), where H+ and O2 combine to make water, but aerobic glycloysis involves oxygen also?
student in Adelaide

raju
Garter
Garter

Post by raju » Wed Nov 02, 2005 7:28 am

hi im raju
oxygen in an aerobic organism is required for oxidation of pyruvate which is 3 carbon compound to acityl-co-A which is an two carbon compound in this step oxygen is utilised to oxidise pyruvate to acityl co a , here one NAD Is reduced to NADH and pyruvate is oxidised , the enzyme involved in this step is an multyenzyme system PYRUVATE OXIDO REDUCTASE. electrom acepter in electron transport chain is ADP or AMP not oxygen . oxygen is not used in kerbs cycle nor glycolysis.
this single step reactrion plays an important role as it gives a lot or energy
in absence of oxygen anaerobes under go other path way to produce either LACTIC ACID or ETHANOL depending on enzyme present this anaerobic step is not economic to a cell as this reaction consumes two high energy NADH molicules which is not economical and cell needs to have a continuous intake of energy molicules ,which means the organisms need to feed a lot ,this might be the evolutanary reasion why multicellular org r all aerobic and not anaerobes
HOPE THIS ANSWER HAS SATICIFIED U ANY WAY I COULD CLEAR UR DOUBT IM GLAD ,U CAN ASK ANY DOUBT REGARDIND BIO WRITE TO MY E MAIL"[email protected]"
UR FRIENDLY
RAJU

raju
Garter
Garter

Post by raju » Wed Nov 02, 2005 7:32 am

GLYCOLYSIS IS NOT A PATH WAY SEEN IN AEROBS ITS A UNIVERSAL PATH WAY FOUND IN EACH AND EVERY ORGANISM ,HENCE THERE IS NOTHING LIKE AEROBIC GLYCOLYSIS PLZ CHECK UR QUESTION,
H2O IS FORMED IN KERBS CYCLE WHICH HAPPENS ONLY IN AEROBIC ORGANISMS
H2O IS PRODUCED IN OTHER ORGANISMS BY OTHER METHODS
MAILL ME WIT MORE QUESTIONS ATR "[email protected]"
ur friend
raju

Fried Zygote Sandwich
Death Adder
Death Adder

Post by Fried Zygote Sandwich » Wed Nov 02, 2005 7:46 am

Oh wow, another case good intent gone wrong. Caps lock isn't cruise control for coolness..... Punctuation is a good thing. Ahhh. Just looking at those posts hurts my head.

Morris
Death Adder
Death Adder

Post by Morris » Wed Nov 02, 2005 5:34 pm

Yes, glicolysis doesn't need oxigen; it's done by both aerobic and anaerobic organisms. Krebs cicle and electron transport need oxigen as electron acceptor: oxigen at the end of transport is riduced in H2O.

rambo
Garter
Garter

Re: Oxygen and respiration

Post by rambo » Fri Nov 04, 2005 1:17 pm

Sparkles wrote:The oxygen consumed during respiration is directly involved in:

a. Glycolysis.
b. Accepting electrons at the end of the electron transport chain.
c. The Krebs cycle.
d. The oxidation of pyruvate.
e. The formation of ATP from

I'm thinking (b), where H+ and O2 combine to make water, but aerobic glycloysis involves oxygen also?

maybe i can help...
a. there right glycolysis doesnt need oxygen. its just enzymes breaking the carbon in sugar in half. enymes also transport H +, also left over pyruvic acid is made into not only ethanol and lactic acid but co2 also.
b. your correct, when hydrogen is attached to nadh after glycolysis to make nadh + h+. nadh + H+ hold electrons which are released in cytochrome system (electrons are then broken off and stored in sulfer boxes located at the edge of cristae of our mitochondria.) and H+ then breaks off of nadh to be be stored in the cristae. following the path of the electrons, they move through three different sulfer boxes which they knock off more hydrogen while passing thru them. at the third box the electrons are then seperated by heme 3 which sulfar helps to create a force that attracts oxygen. therefore oxygen is diffuse inside the cell. oxygen is then released once enough electrons are stored in the third box which creates unstability. oxygen is then released with two electron which cause hydrogen to pair. Ps.. it finishes off with the hydrogen temporarily stored in cristae, because of the amount of hyrogen it activate a machine to create atp and diffuse hydrogen from cristae. whch is the trick
c.your right again, oxygen is needed to diffuse pyruvic acid into mitochondria.
d. yes oxygen is added to pyruvic for it to be diffuse also hydrogen is released to form with nadh
e. i do believe energy is created when oxygen is added to hydrogen., who cares about glycolysis once oxygen is added to pyruvic acid its aerobic and ready for kreb cycle. without oxygen glycolysis will be the last step for an anaerobic process.

feal free to qoute back for more info