Plants!

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

hurly
Coral
Coral

Blue light on plants

Post by hurly » Tue Nov 01, 2005 7:39 pm

Hello plant experts 8)

I read that light through a blue colored glasswindow makes a bean plant grow towards the window, while it would have just grown straight if the glasswindow was red or any other color. Why is this true and does it only work for bean plants?

I only know that plants are bend towards regular sunlight.

Edit:
Maybe I should change my question:
What are the functions to blue light/receptors on plants? :?

victor
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by victor » Sat Nov 05, 2005 11:21 am

Blue light has a shorter wavelength compared to red light. And plants have the Photosystem I & II which act as a light receptor for 680nm and 700nm in wavelength....maybe, blue light is located between that wavelength..
Q: Why are chemists great for solving problems?
A: They have all the solutions.

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Sat Nov 05, 2005 2:48 pm

The main function of blue light in plants is this:
Every stoma has a protein in their cells that initiates a very complex cellular mechanism by pumping protons outside the cell. This pump uses the energy from blue light wavelengths. Maybe a similar mechanism leads to the production of auxin?

Cytology is the answer to all... :D
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

Crux
Garter
Garter

Post by Crux » Thu Nov 10, 2005 6:51 pm

Well light nrg (blue-light) activates specific receptors in guard cell membranes (blue-light receptors), stimulating proton pumps that drive protons out of the cells, which starts off a whole set of reactions; electochemical gradients, osmosis of water, etc.

At the same time Mesophyll cells begin photosynthesizing & using up CO2 accumulated overnight. Reduction in CO2 concentration in the spaces around the guard cells also cause the the osmosis into the cells -- perhaps it has something to do with stomatal opening, leading into photosynthesis. :?