cellular respiration- help

Discussion of all aspects of cellular structure, physiology and communication.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

Simmy
Garter
Garter

cellular respiration- help

Post by Simmy » Tue Nov 01, 2005 2:19 am

Please help, I am very lost... i have been trying to study for the last 2 hours and i still have nothing done. please help.

Question????

1) Why is the phosphorylation of glucose necessary?
2) How does the cytochrome enzyme system provide the energy for the synthesis of ATP?
3) How does the Kerbs cycle provide additional ATP?

sterl0601
Garter
Garter

an answer for you??

Post by sterl0601 » Tue Nov 01, 2005 3:31 am

In answer to your # 3:

This is just a starting point for you to think this through:

Within the citric acid cycle (krebs) which take place in the mitochondrial matrix the energy that is released is stored in a form that the mitochondrion can use to MAKE ATP. This is known as oxidative phosphorylation, hence it is powered by the redox reactions of the ETP. Oxidative Phosphorylation is responsible for %90 of the ATP that is generated by respiration.
Now think about it and you will have the answer !

Hope this helps
Sterling G. Smith
[email protected]
214-780-1992

Simmy
Garter
Garter

Post by Simmy » Tue Nov 01, 2005 3:41 am

thank you for your help this is fantastic that you could steer me in the right direction. Thank you again

GreenDog
Coral
Coral

Post by GreenDog » Tue Nov 01, 2005 12:49 pm

1. The phosphorylation of glucose is needed in order to prevent the glucose from getting out of the cell.
2. The CytC system creates PMF (proton motive force) by pumping out H+, and thus creating the "energy" for the ATPase.

jeffrey
Garter
Garter

Post by jeffrey » Tue Nov 01, 2005 1:48 pm

well, my friend, my answers are like this, hope helpful:
1. oxidation phosphorylation is the final step of glucose respiration, which can synthesis ATP. for every glucose, about 36 ATP can be made by ATP synthase during this step.without existance of oxigen only 2 ATP can me made in fermentation.
2. chemiosmosis, is the machnism of using the the energy which is stored in the H+ gradient across the inner memebrane of mitochondrion to synthesis ATP or drive other cell activity. but how to make a H+ gradient? cytochrome is the answer. they are the final components of electron transport chain. they transfer electrons to oxygen to form water, meanwhile, use the energy of electrons to pump H+ out of the membrane, making H+ gradient.
3. the critic acid cycle can be divided into 8 steps. the. i think ATP is made in the 4th or 5th step. phosphate group , GDP, ADP are involved.this is the way of phospate group, cytosol--> a product of cycle(sorry, i forget the name of this) -->GDP(form GTP)-->ADP(from ATP)

Simmy
Garter
Garter

Post by Simmy » Wed Nov 02, 2005 2:51 pm

Thank you all this is helping me alot

Simmy
Garter
Garter

cellular respiration

Post by Simmy » Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:53 am

Cellular respiration is a process by which glucose forms ATP. There are 2 stages to cellular respiration: a) Anaerobic respiration and b) aerobic respiration.

What is the difference between the 2 stages of respiration??

rambo
Garter
Garter

Re: cellular respiration- help

Post by rambo » Fri Nov 04, 2005 11:52 am

Simmy wrote:Please help, I am very lost... i have been trying to study for the last 2 hours and i still have nothing done. please help.

Question????

1) Why is the phosphorylation of glucose necessary?
2) How does the cytochrome enzyme system provide the energy for the synthesis of ATP?
3) How does the Kerbs cycle provide additional ATP?

1) i believe that extra phosphate is then going to be added to adp to make atp.
2)another one im not sure but picking up flash backs, the cytochrome enzyme ur talking about might be called cytochrome c which delivers electrons to complex three of GTP(GTP is a machine that creates ATP.)
3)im not sure it does. it might help by breaking off hydrogen to send it to the cytochrome cycle.

rambo
Garter
Garter

Post by rambo » Fri Nov 04, 2005 11:53 am

number one is done during glycolysis

mikki
Garter
Garter

Post by mikki » Sat Nov 05, 2005 8:51 pm

human cells, plants, and animal cells can convert glucose into ATP in the presence of oxygen by a set of reactions called Aerobic cellular respiration. Other cells for example yeast cells, bacteria and human skeletal muscle cells can produce ATP from glucose in the absence of oxygen. (anaerobic conditions) via reactions called fermentation. Cell respiration produces a much higher total yield of ATP from one molecule of glucose than ATP, other end products produced include water and carbon dioxide, the primarty waste product produced by cell respiration. Glucose catabolism via cellular respiration can be grouped into 3 major matabolic stages, (1) glycolysis (2) Krebs cycle (3) the electron transport chain and oxidative phosphorylation.

thecow135
Garter
Garter

Re: cellular respiration

Post by thecow135 » Sat Nov 05, 2005 11:01 pm

Simmy wrote:Cellular respiration is a process by which glucose forms ATP. There are 2 stages to cellular respiration: a) Anaerobic respiration and b) aerobic respiration.

What is the difference between the 2 stages of respiration??

this is because one of them requires oxegen, wich helps to form 36 ATP molecules, while the one without oxegen forms only 2 ATP molecules and also produces some side products.

this explains why many athletes gulp in air after they finish. The oxegen is needed to repay the "debt" created in cell repsiration (wit oxegen) also, to react wit the side products of non oxegen cell repiration so that it culd make it non toxic
CUZ EVERYBODY NOE THAT THE GAME DONT STOP TRY TO MAKE IT TO THE TOP

kittenkat10221964
Garter
Garter

Post by kittenkat10221964 » Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:12 pm

I need to know how many net gain of ATP I get from Aerobic Cellular respiration from glucose? Right Now in class I'm dealing with Krebs Cycle,Calvin Cycle, and the 3 cellular respiration cycles and I can't figure this one out. Thanks. Kathy.
Last edited by kittenkat10221964 on Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.