gram negative staining

About microscopic forms of life, including Bacteria, Archea, protozoans, algae and fungi. Topics relating to viruses, viroids and prions also belong here.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

student001
Garter
Garter

gram negative staining

Post by student001 » Sun Oct 30, 2005 5:46 pm

can someone tell us what gram negative staining means i think's it's something to do with stain colour of object can anyone ofter some help. :?:

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Sun Oct 30, 2005 6:02 pm

Google from gram stain you will find all you need. By the result of the gram staining process, your bacteria can be gram negative or gram positive...
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

senkhisis
Garter
Garter

Post by senkhisis » Sun Oct 30, 2005 7:58 pm

There are also bacteria which will sometimes retain the blue coloring and sometimes not. These are the gram variable bacteria.

hurly
Coral
Coral

Post by hurly » Mon Oct 31, 2005 8:59 am

It's because of the different kinds of bacteria cellwalls.

munkeyzrox28
Garter
Garter

i only rmember little....maybe this will help some...

Post by munkeyzrox28 » Wed Nov 02, 2005 1:00 am

i know that a gram neg. stain turns the....uumm....thing?...... purple. i'm pretty sure its that... :roll: i dont remeber alot...cuz...i really hate Bio...i have a C in there so yeah...hope that helps some. probably not. but its better than nuthin.

Sam :wink:

raju
Garter
Garter

Post by raju » Wed Nov 02, 2005 11:18 am

its a way by which a bacteria can be classified
a bacteria is smeired on a glass slide and a drop of methylin blue is added after which it is washed with slow flowing water and then it is treated wit iodine washed again .... then is it treated wit alcohol .... then watered then with saffarin then washed and air dried ... after all theese steps it the colonies apear to be blue then it is said to be gram positive if not its gram negative its named gram after the scientist who discoverted it this differential staining is due to the variation in thickness of peptido glycon layer on cell wall\

lara
Coral
Coral

gram negative

Post by lara » Fri Nov 11, 2005 11:04 am

gram negative bacteria hav an extra layer of lipopolysaccharides which get removed during alcohol treatment helpin' the dye to escape.