hormone miracle...

Human Anatomy, Physiology, and Medicine. Anything human!

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

bass_lasso9
Garter
Garter

hormone miracle...

Post by bass_lasso9 » Sun Oct 30, 2005 1:36 pm

hi all...
how can hormone control our body's glands activities...?
hormone -as we know- is just a liquid, right...?
how can it do that...?
thank's a lot for your time and answers before... :wink: :D

Poison
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by Poison » Sun Oct 30, 2005 4:11 pm

you are composed of cells and therefore atoms. How can you be alive? It is a such kind of question. Enzymes are miracle too. :) What do you want to know about hormones.
It matters not how strait the gate
How charged with punishment the scroll
I am the Master of my fate
I am the Captain of my soul.

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Sun Oct 30, 2005 4:17 pm

A hormone is not just a liquit, it is a very specifically designed protein or lipid molecule. Although the biochemical processes of hormone regulation are extremely complex, think of it like this: each endocrin gland cell has receptors for the hormones it produces. When their number reaches a certain limit, they trigger a cellular mechanism that lowers the quantity of hormones produced. Usually cAMP or cGMP are used.. Is this what you were asking?
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

hurly
Coral
Coral

Post by hurly » Sun Oct 30, 2005 4:24 pm

Ehm, where does it say that hormones are liquid? Hormones are aminoacids in the form of f.ex. protein

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Sun Oct 30, 2005 4:26 pm

I don't know if they are liquid but they are inside the blood at all time, and that is deffinetly liquid :)
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

Fried Zygote Sandwich
Death Adder
Death Adder

Post by Fried Zygote Sandwich » Sun Oct 30, 2005 6:29 pm

A dissolved substance perhaps?

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Sun Oct 30, 2005 6:49 pm

Not necessarily a dissolved substance because there are some steroid hormones that are not water soluble. So this definition wouldn't go for all hormones

Dr.Stein
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by Dr.Stein » Sat Nov 12, 2005 12:11 pm

Well, simply it is said that hormone is a chemical substance, could be composed of amino acids or cholesterol (steroid).

Hormones should be able to dissolve in body fluid. Protein hormones will easily dissolved into water-based body fluid, but steroid hormones need a protein carrier, usually globulin, to bring them along circulation to their target cells (cells that have receptors for a hormone).

How hormones take action? It depends on what hormone it is. For example, a hormone will work on DNA of its target cells to synthesize specific mRNA, then will produce new proteins.