transfusion of blood

Human Anatomy, Physiology, and Medicine. Anything human!

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Mon Nov 07, 2005 6:33 pm

What i meant is that the immune system should have no trouble dealing with 1 or 2 cancer cells
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

mbmdphd_maybe
Garter
Garter

Post by mbmdphd_maybe » Mon Nov 07, 2005 6:38 pm

You're absolutely right. It's estimated that, by the time you turn 18, your immune system has efficiently dealt with 30 potential cancer instances. There is beauty in control of our replicating cells, friends.

Dr.Stein
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by Dr.Stein » Sat Nov 12, 2005 6:51 am

In blood plasma there is a lot of immune 'toolbox', one of them is cytokines released by host cells or tumor cells. By analyzing plasma, we can detect the presence of abnormal cells that potentially become tumor cells whether benign or malignant.

Paramedicals or people in blood labs know what they should do due to blood transfusion so don't worry.

Leesa
Garter
Garter

Post by Leesa » Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:42 am

They dont allow that, every person before they donate goes through a screening session, where the persons history is revealed, and they approach every aspect of health with a qualified nurse. Then, after that is all clear, they do a blood test, and send that for screening. If the blood is compatibile, and the testing is fine, they then consider the donor. Before somebody can donate bone marrow, the same screening applies.

chetanladdha
Garter
Garter

Re: transfusion of blood

Post by chetanladdha » Thu Nov 17, 2005 3:24 pm

pedro21101 wrote:What if someone who has cancer and he doesnt know about, will be giving transfusion of blood to another one. Doesnt exist any danger that some cancer cell (or more cancer cells) wandering in his blood cycle will pass to the body of receiver and will initiatate an uncontroling proliferation. Or does exist any tests to test it?

i dont think that cancer can b transfered in any such way.. and v have our immune system too..

biostudent84
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: transfusion of blood

Post by biostudent84 » Thu Nov 17, 2005 6:04 pm

chetanladdha wrote:
pedro21101 wrote:What if someone who has cancer and he doesnt know about, will be giving transfusion of blood to another one. Doesnt exist any danger that some cancer cell (or more cancer cells) wandering in his blood cycle will pass to the body of receiver and will initiatate an uncontroling proliferation. Or does exist any tests to test it?

i dont think that cancer can b transfered in any such way.. and v have our immune system too..

No it can not. Red blood cells are the cells transfused. Cancer is defined as "uncontrolled cell division." Since RBC's do not divide in the first place, and they cannot even if they wanted to (no DNA), cancer cannot be communicated in this way.

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Thu Nov 17, 2005 7:20 pm

I think the question was about a cancer cell breaking from it's tissue and accidentally ending up in the blood stream
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

Dr.Stein
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by Dr.Stein » Fri Nov 25, 2005 7:07 am

Remember that blood plasma consists of a lot of immune system tools like antibodies, complements, and cytokines. Also, in blood stream we have leucocytes that will attack tumor/cancer cells. One more, blood flows to "transit places" called spleen and lymph nodes that will detect and clean blood, even another body fluids i.e. lymphs, before continuing its flowing.

victor
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by victor » Fri Nov 25, 2005 1:26 pm

You know...sometimes those 'toolboxes' confuse me a lot.... :?
Q: Why are chemists great for solving problems?
A: They have all the solutions.

Dr.Stein
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by Dr.Stein » Sat Nov 26, 2005 8:11 am

OH? Tell me maybe I could help you ;)