How much ATP?

Discussion of all aspects of cellular structure, physiology and communication.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

mutant
Garter
Garter

How much ATP?

Post by mutant » Sat Oct 29, 2005 4:40 am

How much ATP is produced from just a mole of acetyl CoA? and i've heard recently that only 30 ATP is produced from 1 mole of glucose. is this true? when i was in bio 1 i remember it being about 36-38.

Fried Zygote Sandwich
Death Adder
Death Adder

Post by Fried Zygote Sandwich » Sat Oct 29, 2005 5:25 am

From a mole or a molecule? A mole is going to be a whollle **** load if you multiply 36-38 by avagadros constant.

Morris
Death Adder
Death Adder

Post by Morris » Sat Oct 29, 2005 2:21 pm

ATPs are 38 in total: 36 produced by electron transport + 2 produced by glicolisys herself.

36 ATPs are produced by two molecules of ATPs, because glucose is divided in two mlecules of 3C every one; for it you must do two Krebs cicle to ossidate a 6C molecule as glucose. Every Krebs produce 6 NADH: in total 12 NADH. Every NADH produces 3ATPs; 12x3=36 ATPs.

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Sun Oct 30, 2005 11:20 am

@Fried Zygote Sandwich
It is the same thing: from one molecule of glucose you get 38 molecules of ATP, from one mole og glucose you get 38 moles of ATP.
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

rambo
Garter
Garter

Post by rambo » Sun Oct 30, 2005 12:08 pm

i dont believe acetyle coa creates atp it setups the release of hydrogen. therefore the kreb cycle actually does not produce atp. just does all the chemical processes for hydrogen to release with the help of sugar and oxygen. some hydrogens when departed join o 2 to became water. but no atp is produced from acetyl acid itself.

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Sun Oct 30, 2005 12:18 pm

True, but this is only splitting hears. Perhaps what was meant was "how much potential energy does acetyl~CoA contain?"
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

sdekivit
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by sdekivit » Sun Oct 30, 2005 3:28 pm

acetyl-CoA itself doesn't produce ATP but in the NADH and FADH2 can be used for ATP-synthesis in the electrontransport chain.

Another possibility is the production of fatty acids that can be oxidized.

But remember: the acetyl-CoA is degraded in the second round of the citric acid cycle. (thus it is first 1 round in the citric acid cycle, without being oxidized)

Simmy
Garter
Garter

Post by Simmy » Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:49 am

When Acetyl CoA moves to an area of the mitochondrion Where a series of reactions (the Krebs cycle) occur. the Acetyl CoA releases Acetic acid and is then free to pick another molecule of acetic acid. so then the molecules are rearranged and CO2 is released and 1 molecule of ATP is produced .

counting ATP's produced

anaerobic respiration 2ATP
aerobic respiration
2 passed of Krebs cycle 2ATP
electron transport chain 32ATP
________
total 36 ATP

usually input energy of 2ATP is needed to start cellular respiration. This is recovered at the end for a NET production of 36ATP

C6H12O6 + 6O2 + 2ATP ------> 6CO2 + 6H2O + 38 ATP

38 ATP
- 2ATP
36 NET gain