What does DNA code for?

Discussion of all aspects of biological molecules, biochemical processes and laboratory procedures in the field.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

jeffrey
Garter
Garter

Post by jeffrey » Thu Oct 27, 2005 12:08 pm

RNA is not an enzyme although sometime it can works like that. i think an enzyem should be a protein which made of ammino acids but not nuc acids.by the way, RNA can be a biogenetic information carrier, i know some virus can copy DNA with RNA. the reason? maybe because they are too small to carry such a big thing-- DNA.

starlet7000
Garter
Garter

Post by starlet7000 » Sun Oct 30, 2005 3:37 am

can someone please answer my question. I don't wnna know about protein synthesis or what enzymes. I just wanna to know how is trna? I now know mrna is made for dna and rrna is made in the ribosome

Morris
Death Adder
Death Adder

Post by Morris » Sun Oct 30, 2005 9:35 am

Here there is tRNA structure. As you see it as a clover form: it's formed by four parts: D arm, on the left of image, a variable arm in the right; but the most important are the anticodon, the tRNA parts that pair with mRNA, infact it's complementar and the acceptor stem ehre is binded AA coded by the complementar codon of tRNA anticodon.
Attachments
tRNA.jpg
tRNA.jpg (20.27 KiB) Viewed 3863 times

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Sun Oct 30, 2005 11:13 am

starlet7000 wrote:can someone please answer my question. I don't wnna know about protein synthesis or what enzymes. I just wanna to know how is trna? I now know mrna is made for dna and rrna is made in the ribosome

Just a little correction: rRNA, like all other types of RNA is made in the nucleus, but it can be found in the ribosoms.
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

sdekivit
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by sdekivit » Sun Oct 30, 2005 3:30 pm

tRNA is also made in the nucleus

pilipit
Garter
Garter

Post by pilipit » Mon Oct 31, 2005 4:47 pm

my gosh. the last time i had this indepth discussion about DNA was way back in 2003. so i kinda have nothing really sensible to contribute. i have the same simple answer for that question posted, and it's for protein coding and well, yeah, as the basic unit of heredity. sheesh!
is this all you've got?
apparently not.
bring it on.

mmiaosmiling
Death Adder
Death Adder

Post by mmiaosmiling » Mon Nov 07, 2005 1:02 am

RNA can be enzyme which named ribozyme that consists of 2 kinds:in cis AND in trans
hi everyone...

lara
Coral
Coral

what does dna code for

Post by lara » Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:01 am

some introns hav self splicin' activity.on removin' bases from 5' end their enzymatic activities improv.ribozymes can then elongate oligonucleotides.this is the prime reason y they r considered the first genetic material as they fulfill the needs of both informaton carrier & enzyme.

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Mon Nov 07, 2005 7:01 pm

lara, please write whole words. It makes it easier for us non-native english speakers to understand...
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter