potential energy

Discussion of all aspects of biological molecules, biochemical processes and laboratory procedures in the field.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

mikki
Garter
Garter

Post by mikki » Sun Dec 04, 2005 7:45 am

One more thing, my lab instructor........here is a small fraction of her curriculum vitae:
Research Assistant, Tropical Herpetofauna Catalogue, University of Texas at Arlington
2005 Graduate Student Senator for M.S. Biology program, University of Texas at Arlington
2005 Co-Chair, Guest Speaker Committee, Phi Sigma Biology Honors Society, University of Texas at Arlington
2004 Lead Graduate Teaching Assistant, Cell and Molecular Biology, University of Texas at Arlington
2003 Graduate Teaching Assistant, Cell and Molecular Biology, University of Texas at Arlington.
M.S. The University of Texas at Arlington, 2003
A.B. Boston College, Psychology (cum laude, high honors)

Yes, you're right she doesn't know much about biochemsitry does she?_____________________________________________________________________________
____________________________________________________________________________________
In the Beginning there was nothing, which exploded.

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Sun Dec 04, 2005 11:32 am

I didn't mean to offend you or your teacher. Of course i can't say judge someone from advice givven over the internet so i said "doesn't seem". According to that, i was wrong...
About campbell book? What page? I have it..
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

victor
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by victor » Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:13 pm

Mine is the fifth edition...um, can yo tell me what chapter it is???
Q: Why are chemists great for solving problems?
A: They have all the solutions.

King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by 2810712 » Sat Dec 31, 2005 10:10 am

One thing we all must discuss and get clear is what is it actually that makes something energy-giving... I think every process reduces the capacity of the system to do useful work , but still the same process might absorb/give out heat and may increase or decrease the entropy of the system. The ways in which the system can give out energy seems to be - giving out heat and/or increasing entropy of the surrounding. This is what our P.E. does when it gets K.E.fied.
To deside whether some molec. is 'energetic' or not we must know why is something 'energetic' or 'having P.E'. eg. due to closely posed O- in ATP,repulsive forces r developed that givethe bonds their potential energy.
Note that ATP is also not somuch reactive in cellular environment, so the energy-utilization can be done properly.
One may ask that why are such energy-rich compounds stable[glucose,starch,lipids etc.], i think the requaired conditions are not present always, in order to take out this energy from them... [some reactions in the initial steps of glyclysis need APT , enzymes etc.] this is imp. as otherwise how would cells have 'stored ' the 'energy'.
correct me whenever and wherever possible.
Enough P.E. seems to be developed here in the discussion... but we must
keep it isothermal.

yours always endoknowledgic,
hrushikesh