dead fish and diseases

Debate and discussion of any biological questions not pertaining to a particular topic.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

remi
Garter
Garter

dead fish and diseases

Post by remi » Wed Oct 12, 2005 3:23 pm

I am interested, would masses of dead fish rotting on dry land be a biological hazard with a high potential to cause disease to humans and animals? The dead fish could be the result of something like underwater volcanic activity. Any idea how long might it take for the fish to decompose until there is mostly just bones left, assuming they are in the sun, rain, etc? This might be the wrong place to ask, but thanks anyway :D

mith
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by mith » Wed Oct 12, 2005 3:26 pm

Biohazard as in breeding lots of pests maybe. And it'll depend on how much sun it gets, if theres too much sun, the fish just dry out...pickled.
Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
~Niebuhr

victor
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by victor » Thu Oct 13, 2005 11:08 am

If more heat...I guess it'll be roasted... :lol:
Biological hazard occurs because of the decomposing of the fish. While decomposing the fish, microbes also need acidic pH and indirectly, the surrounding environment also become acidic area. (I tell about biological hazard to the land, not to the human).

Regards
Victor
Q: Why are chemists great for solving problems?
A: They have all the solutions.

PatriotUSA
Garter
Garter

Post by PatriotUSA » Wed Oct 26, 2005 4:43 pm

Like mithrilhack said the decomposition of a dead fish does not at all depend on amount of sunlight or rain, but on the number of microbes and fungi present that break down its tissues.