Suggestions for particularly cool bacteria and fungi

About microscopic forms of life, including Bacteria, Archea, protozoans, algae and fungi. Topics relating to viruses, viroids and prions also belong here.

Moderators: Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

guylo
Garter
Garter

Suggestions for particularly cool bacteria and fungi

Post by guylo » Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:56 am

Hi,

I run a small magazine called Eye Ball (http://eye-ball.info) and we're hoping to produce a deck of cards with the four suits representing animals, plants, bacteria and fungi. Each card within those suits will be a particularly interesting species and a small book will be provided giving more information and explaining the choices.

I have lots of ideas for the animal and plants but am coming up a bit short with the bacteria and fungi. I have quite a few ideas for species to include but I am not a microbiologist and I feel I am currently doing bacteria and fungi a disservice.

So I wondered if I could ask for some ideas for species you find particularly interesting, exciting or just plain cool?

Thank you,
Guy

choozi
Garter
Garter

Post by choozi » Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:45 pm

Thats seems very good Job. If you could add yeast species in your magazine. That will be really helpful. Because i havn't find the easy biochemical methods for detection of yeasts or about the different types of yeasts. On the other hand a lots of information about fungi and bacteria are already available in many books and sites.