Gram Positive Cocci

About microscopic forms of life, including Bacteria, Archea, protozoans, algae and fungi. Topics relating to viruses, viroids and prions also belong here.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

lucrezia03
Garter
Garter

Gram Positive Cocci

Post by lucrezia03 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:58 pm

I am working on a biology research project to identify a bacterial organism found in a small stream. Here is the info collected so far:

Colony morphology: Yellow, round, slightly concave, smooth.

Gram stain: Gram positive, appears to be cocci, but not perfectly round and tend to group together in pairs (which appear as though it is a short fat bacilli) or irregular clusters.

Blood Agar: Gamma hemolytic

EMB: Colorless growth (does not ferment lactose)

MS Agar: No growth

TSI: Yellow butt, yellow slant (ferments glucose, lactose and/or sucrose) (I am also wondering does this mean it does ferment lactose? Or can it mean that it ferments sucrose instead of lactose?)

Nitrate Reduction: Negative (does not break down NO)

Catalase: Positive

Based on the first dichotomous key we had been using it led us to a bacteria called Gaffkya Tetragena, which I could not find any information on except for some very old medical journals (from the 30's and 50's). I found one page that mentioned something eluding to the fact that this species was renamed/reclassified to Aerococcus Viridans, which does not sound like it matches up with our organism. I looked at another bacterial flow chart and it led to micrococcus verians, and when I looked that up there also was not a lot of info, but mostly I found references to the fact that the micrococcus genus had been dissected into a new genus called Kocuria. I have also looked up this name, and cannot seem to find much information. If anyone has any advice on how I can find more info about this organism, tests we could try, or any other suggestions they would be much appreciated.

Cat
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by Cat » Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:47 am

16S rDNA sequencing.

ohyesitskim
Garter
Garter

Post by ohyesitskim » Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:34 am

Hey your bacteria might be micrococcus luteus or something which is the same as micrococcus Kocuria, I believe. Try using the Bergy's manual of determinative bacteriology. Good luck and if you can take a look at mine and help me out that would be great!