Dionea Seed/Potted

Plants!

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

mith
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Dionea Seed/Potted

Post by mith » Wed Oct 05, 2005 3:59 am

I dunno why and don't ask me but during lunch today, I had a sudden hankering to have a venus fly trap. Maybe it's all those bugs buzzing around.

Anyway, I located some offers on ebay.
Now the seeds(20 of them) cost around 5 bucks while the potted plant costs around 15.

Is it easy to raise them from seeds or should I just take the sure bet and buy the potted one? Mind you, I don't have much of a green thumb. I once planted garlic and I harvested the same amount I planted :(. Oh I also live in a desert region, intense sun and very low humidity. I'm probably gonna have to plant it next to my citrus tree that's the same height from last year :oops:
Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
~Niebuhr

123Herpatology
Death Adder
Death Adder

Venus Fly trap

Post by 123Herpatology » Wed Oct 05, 2005 4:23 am

I live in Phoenix, Arizona and i've owned several VFT's, my first attempt was a failure big time because i planted it outside in my sad attempt of a garden. What i found works best is to buy the potted ones, and keep them inside next to the sink in the kitchen (if you have a window in your kitchen that works great/skylight is even better). Humidity shouldn't be too much of a problem as long as you water it every other day like maybe 1/3 of a cup. Make sure to check that the plant is responsive to food by using ground up hamburger meat on a toothpic and placing it in the jaws. The response should be immediate. I hope that helps bro.
-ryan 8)

mothorc
Coral
Coral

Post by mothorc » Thu Oct 06, 2005 1:37 pm

they don't need low humidity as you say, just low nitrogen and you can add more P and K for good result
Good luck

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Thu Oct 06, 2005 6:24 pm

Actually it needs quite a significant quantity of water. I had one and my mother forgot to water it for 1 week while i was on vacation and it died..
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

123Herpatology
Death Adder
Death Adder

Post by 123Herpatology » Fri Oct 07, 2005 12:22 am

you're right, but watering everyother day should work?...I mean, mine turned out ok :(
wisdom=the anti-venom for failure

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Fri Oct 07, 2005 5:36 pm

Well, it also depends on the soil and how much you give it when you water it. It can also depend on the water. there are a lot of variables here..
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter