What is the most dangerous insect?

Animals!

Moderators: Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Wed Dec 07, 2005 7:40 pm

@amoebapower
Yes, the sleeping desease is caused by a flagellated protozoan, called Trypanosoma gambiense or something like that. The only animal on the planet immune to the desease is the donckey, no one knows why
@Super Grendel
It is a matter of ethology. Where have you seen ants or termites fighting? I bet it's near the ant farm or the termite farm. The soldier ants are as smart and organised as an army: do anything to protect the queen and the young, and act like a single organisms: even if this macroorganism gets hurt, the invader is repelled, so their number will grow again...
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

amoebapower
Death Adder
Death Adder

Post by amoebapower » Wed Dec 07, 2005 9:55 pm

tse tse flies are pretty deadly, they live in africa and pass along something called the "sleeping sickness" many people die from these insects. in fact, i read that in tse tse fly habitats, humans dont farm and overfarm the tse tseless land because these insects are so deadly

Super Grendel
Garter
Garter

Post by Super Grendel » Thu Dec 08, 2005 3:16 am

I actaully saw them fighting in my backyard. I have a rock wall running through my property and every rock you turn over is a battle of Lord of The Rings proportion. I would have called for pest controll to deal with the termites but the ants won. I now treat them as a blessing, and every few days I'll leave some old leftovers for them (this has been going on for a while now)

Infact is was this battle that got me so interested in insects
You can always FIND what your looking for but you can only DISCOVER what you didn't know.

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Fri Dec 09, 2005 6:59 pm

@amoebapower
It is not the fly itself that causes the desease, but the protozoan it carries...

@Super Grendel
Don't overdo it. Or else your ant population will grow, grow and start causing problems. And, yes, you can see it was a territorial dispute, over "who clames this land"
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

klomp123
Garter
Garter

Post by klomp123 » Sat Dec 10, 2005 9:45 pm

I personaly think the camal spider is extremly dangerous because it injects a anestetic and then it eats that person. creepy because could wake up without an ear.

Asif Khan
Garter
Garter

Post by Asif Khan » Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:03 pm

well according to the me the worlds most dangerous insect has to be the anopheles mosquitoes as they have caused the most deaths, of all the insects.
as for the second questions yes some insects do live in water like the water beetles (family- hydrophilidae; sub class- pterygota; order- coleoptera)
and lastly crabs are not insects but are crustacians- arthropods that have 5 pairs of legs.

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Sun Dec 11, 2005 5:11 pm

The anopheles causes the most deaths? Where did you get the info? MAybe most human deaths, some ants can kill milions of creatures in a year...