Immune against coffee/caffeine

Human Anatomy, Physiology, and Medicine. Anything human!

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

earth_angel56431
Garter
Garter

Post by earth_angel56431 » Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:58 pm

Fried Zygote Sandwich wrote:I'm guessing here. But it may be that they have built up a tollerance to it. Essentially what happens, I think, is that the key enzymes located in the smooth endoplasmic reticulum that detoxify can proliferate if constantly stimulated (exposed to the substance). An increase in these toxic metabolizing enzymes would lead to a higher tollerance to toxins, such as caffeine.

I'm really vague on this subject though. I'm not even sure if this area is where caffeine is metabolized. I'm just guessing. So best wait until someone with more experience verifies, or corrects this.

I do aggree with you on this point. I don't know much about the way this works but i think that the body metabolizes any stimulant the same. Even if the body's metabolism is faster if exposed to a sugar it will still have the same effect as caffeine.

siya
Garter
Garter

Post by siya » Thu Nov 03, 2005 5:44 am

caffenine might really be effective in keeping u awake but it is very harmful.it causes anxiety.....moreover i feel everyone is affected by it though it might not be apparent.
siya

scoophy
Garter
Garter

Post by scoophy » Mon Nov 07, 2005 12:17 pm

The reason why one gets tolerant to caffeine is because nerve cells develop more adenosine receptors in order to compensate for those receptors that are blocked by the caffeine. You will need more caffeine then to get the same effect of reducing tiredness, so you will drink more cups of coffee. In addition you will feel more tired in "normal state" (= without caffeine) than a person that is not addicted, due to your increased number of receptors.

& @all those smokers out there wanting to quit: You could try to swap to Gitanes (or other brand that does not contain any sugar/flavourings). A friend of mine did that and afterwards had no problem to quit. Firstly because sugar and flavourings enhance addictedness and secondly because Gitanes (and I suppose all other brands without flavouring) taste so bad you won't miss it.

scoophy
Garter
Garter

Post by scoophy » Mon Nov 07, 2005 12:40 pm

Oops, I did not intend to advertise, sorry. I just read the Forum Rules now (bad idea, I should have read them first :-() and found out that to name a product would be considered as an advertisement. Please note that my description of the product is not really positive and that my mentioning it would not help the company to gain much money...

Poison
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by Poison » Mon Nov 07, 2005 3:52 pm

OK. thanks for reading the rules. :)
It matters not how strait the gate
How charged with punishment the scroll
I am the Master of my fate
I am the Captain of my soul.