blood vessels

Human Anatomy, Physiology, and Medicine. Anything human!

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

EmmVeePee
Coral
Coral

Post by EmmVeePee » Wed Nov 16, 2005 7:05 am

Blood Pressure is strongest in the Aorta (if specific) or in Arteries (if general).

I feel bad for telling you.
Greg
Undergraduate, Microbiology
Pennsylvania State University

Dr.Stein
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by Dr.Stein » Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:02 am

That's why I did not tell him :D

chetanladdha
Garter
Garter

Re: blood vessels

Post by chetanladdha » Thu Nov 17, 2005 3:15 pm

twinkle wrote:hi.can anyone pls help me??
i need to know in which blood vessel is the blood pressure the highest?? :?

i hope it would be capillaries,, and if it is specific. then vena cava,, i hope..

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Thu Nov 17, 2005 7:21 pm

the vena cava has the absolute lowest pressure
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

chetanladdha
Garter
Garter

Post by chetanladdha » Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:37 pm

MrMistery wrote:the vena cava has the absolute lowest pressure

pressure mainly depends upon the thichness of blood vessel, and and flow of blood... and since the flow of blood in nearly same,, but in thickness veins r smaller.. thats y...

zenith_beth
Garter
Garter

Post by zenith_beth » Fri Nov 18, 2005 5:20 pm

Mistery is right - the vena cava carries blood with low pressure towards the heart. The high pressure in the aorta is due to the fact that the heart pumps pumps blood very strongly into the aorta so that the blood going TO the body organs would have enough pressue to filter out at the capillaries (to form tissue fluid). The pressure at the capillaries continues to build up because the blood is going from the relatively wide artery (or arteriole) to the much, much narrower capillary. A decrease in the "volume" causes an increase in pressure, thus the components of blood which filter out of the capillaries, may filter out. (They need a high pressure to filter out) As blood continues to move through the body it tends to lose the initial pressure which it had upon leaving the heart, until finally the blood ends up in the vena cava where the blood has lost most of its pressure. That's why there are valves in veins - to prevent the backflow of blood!!.. because, among other reasons, the blood has little pressure. Also, the blood from the vena cava ends up in the heart. The heart functions to PUMP blood (to sort of give it that pressure it needs to continue to move around your body). This means that the blood in the vena cava has lost so much pressure that it must go to the heart to gain that pressure.
With regards to where pressure is the greatest it would either be the aorta of the Bowman's capsule at the kidneys.
wizzie :-)

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Fri Nov 18, 2005 6:50 pm

Deffinetly the aorta. The pressure in the cappilaries of the Bowman capsule is only 75 mm Hg(which is still about twice that of usual papilaries since the way from the abdominal aorta to there is very small...)
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter