eukaryotic linear chromosome length?

Discussion of all aspects of biological molecules, biochemical processes and laboratory procedures in the field.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

wkeyes
Garter
Garter

eukaryotic linear chromosome length?

Post by wkeyes » Fri Sep 23, 2005 8:40 pm

How many DNA molecules are present in a eukaryotic linear chromosome? An answer would be great, a link to a relevant website would be even better...

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Sat Sep 24, 2005 8:06 am

It depends from species to species. I do not think anybody ever made a medium value of the number of DNA molecules...
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

canalon
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Re: eukaryotic linear chromosome length?

Post by canalon » Sat Sep 24, 2005 11:17 pm

wkeyes wrote:How many DNA molecules are present in a eukaryotic linear chromosome? An answer would be great, a link to a relevant website would be even better...

If I read your question the answer is simple and obvious, and much simpler that what is suggested by Andrew/MrMistery... Think of what is a molecule of DNA...

If, on the contrary, your question is how much base pair per chromosome in average, Andrew is right, and I would add that averaging DNA length of virus, bacteria, rice and Human would not make any sense...

Patrick

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Sun Sep 25, 2005 5:52 pm

haha! I didn't catch that. sorry. patrick is right. Every organism has only one molecule of DNA(in human it is 2 meters long)
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

canalon
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by canalon » Sun Sep 25, 2005 10:22 pm

Again you are wrong Andrew... Molecules are a group of atoms linked by covalent bonds, no? H-Bonds do not count...

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Mon Sep 26, 2005 6:41 pm

You are so picky Patrick. You knwo what i mean. I even read in a college book: the nucleus of the eukaryotic cells only contains one MACROmolecule of DNA.
So are you saying DNA is actually 2 molecules? That is a bit exagerated. I was wrong to use the term molecule, i should have used macromolecule.