Do we have genetic information from all Grandparents?

Debate and discussion of any biological questions not pertaining to a particular topic.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

lizziewizzie88
Garter
Garter

Do we have genetic information from all Grandparents?

Post by lizziewizzie88 » Thu Sep 22, 2005 12:29 am

I've been studying meiosis and, thinking about the topic, wondered whether it is possible to not be linked to all of your Grandparents. My pattern of thoughts went along the lines of:

If, during meiosis, half of your chromosomes arrive in one daughter cell, and the other half in another, is it possible that all of the chromosomes in one cell are maternal, and all those in the other are paternal? I know it is very unlikely they would separate with this proportion, but is it not theoretically possible? And wouldn't that mean that any zygote formed wouldn't have any genetic information passed down from one of it's Grandparents?

Thoughts on this subject please :D

baikuza
Coral
Coral

Post by baikuza » Thu Sep 22, 2005 11:44 am

there are many factors that can make the calculation which based on any theory became wrong....

_________
8) wake up on the day
i saw u talking together
i just wanna to join the fun

victor
King Cobra
King Cobra

Re: Do we have genetic information from all Grandparents?

Post by victor » Thu Sep 22, 2005 12:01 pm

lizziewizzie88 wrote:If, during meiosis, half of your chromosomes arrive in one daughter cell, and the other half in another, is it possible that all of the chromosomes in one cell are maternal, and all those in the other are paternal? I know it is very unlikely they would separate with this proportion, but is it not theoretically possible? And wouldn't that mean that any zygote formed wouldn't have any genetic information passed down from one of it's Grandparents?
Thoughts on this subject please :D

I think it can't..because, when they're doing the meiosis stage...DNA already synthesized by DNA polymerase and beside duplicating DNA, DNA polymerase also keep watching if there's any mispairing of the bases...
Q: Why are chemists great for solving problems?
A: They have all the solutions.