Chromatin or chromosomes?

Debate and discussion of any biological questions not pertaining to a particular topic.

Moderators: Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

biostudent203
Garter
Garter

Chromatin or chromosomes?

Post by biostudent203 » Tue Sep 20, 2005 1:02 am

My bio teacher said that chrmosomes are formed from shortened chromatin. But my text book says it's the other way around. Could someone please explain? :?

ERS
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by ERS » Tue Sep 20, 2005 2:11 am

think of it this way, DNA strands are associated with protiens to help maintain chromosome structure, etc. Thus we are talking about a DNA-protein complex. Chromatin is long-thin strands of the DNA-protein complex and is found in a loosley packed formation, while the individual chromosomes are formed by a tighter packing, via coiling and compact folding, of the DNA-protein complex and are thus visible.

Think of the chromatin form as a big wad of spaghetti noodles where you can't distinguish each noodle from each other, and the chromosome form as each individual noodle untangled from the mass and laid out. Same material, just different form depending on where you are at in the cell cycle.

Does this help? does anyone else have anything to add?
ERS

rosebud
Garter
Garter

Post by rosebud » Tue Sep 20, 2005 12:07 pm

What I have been taught is that chromatin forms chromosomes.

Navin
Coral
Coral

Post by Navin » Tue Sep 20, 2005 1:30 pm

Chromatin compress together to give fat chromosomes. (I think chromosomes only appear during cell division)
Attachments
Picture in Scrap.jpg
Picture in Scrap.jpg (28.96 KiB) Viewed 20781 times

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Tue Sep 20, 2005 7:18 pm

Yes, that is true. That is why, if we want to study a cariotype, we need to treat the cell with colchicine buring metaphase.
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

vinaya
Death Adder
Death Adder

Post by vinaya » Wed Sep 21, 2005 3:49 pm

i think u r getting confused between chromatin and chromatid
one half of a chromosome is referred to as a chromatid .so ur teachers bang on target if she said two chromatids comprise a chromosome
a network of chromosomes is called a chromatin network. during cell division, the chromosomes single out and line up
And its good u can recollect enough to get confused :wink: :wink:
most people would just follow the text :D :lol:

biostudent203
Garter
Garter

Post by biostudent203 » Thu Sep 22, 2005 12:28 am

Thanx. I understand now. :)