HSD, GED, and a career in paleontology/biology

Debate and discussion of any biological questions not pertaining to a particular topic.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

tiredeyes
Garter
Garter

HSD, GED, and a career in paleontology/biology

Post by tiredeyes » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:19 am

So I want a career in vertebrate paleontology and/or biology, but I have some issues that I fear will prevent me from achieving my dream.

I guess I'll come out and say it: I got kicked out of high school for missing too much time. It's not as though my grades suffered -- I breezed through Biology II AP -- but I just had trouble coming to school. I don't want to get into too much, but I tried explaining my problems to the vice principal and guidance councilor, but they completely dismissed my concerns. The guidance councilor especially was a disappointment, as she refused to help me focus on a career, talking down to me and saying stuff like "don't worry about that" and "it doesn't matter."

Well, I guess I went through a depression after all that and I spent a few years wallowing in the disappointment of myself, as I had sincerely wanted and tried to attend school, but as I said, I had issues with it. Now I'm trying to put my life back together as it were, but I worry that this huge failure of mine is going to haunt me. For example, I'm currently studying for my GED, but I don't know how I'll ever get into a good college with that. I worry too that employers will look negatively on having a GED and not a HSD. I know a GED is supposed to be the same as a HSD, but the fact is that a lot of people look down on having a GED instead of a HSD.

I guess ultimately what I'm asking is this: Will I ever be able to have a good career as a paleontologist/biologist (preferably a well-paid one), and if so, how do I go about it?

I realize this may be out of the scope of this site, but I'm really desperate for some help and I don't know where to turn.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

KellySmith
Garter
Garter

Re: HSD, GED, and a career in paleontology/biology

Post by KellySmith » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:20 am

I don't quite understand what the problem is. The fact that your tenants must move due to job changing or that they cannot pay the rent? If they change jobs, then you can’t do anything, they will definitely move. Recently, I did just that. I ordered a resume from topresume.com, got a new job and moved. If they can't pay (or you think they can't), it all depends on you. If they seem to be reliable people, I would give them a small delay in payment.