Sharks and Dolphins

Animals!

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

punk rock princess
Garter
Garter

Post by punk rock princess » Wed Sep 21, 2005 10:38 am

I don't think you can be as confused as I am!!!

:? :? :?

In my essay, would I class sharks as fishes or not?!
A guy walks into a pub, and asks for a pint of Adenosinetriphosphate.

The barman says "That'll be 80p (ATP) please!"

pedro21101
Garter
Garter

Post by pedro21101 » Thu Sep 22, 2005 5:37 pm

Class them as Chondrichtyomorphi and fishes as Teleostomi :D . No class them minimaly as cartilageous fishes but dont class them as only fishes. Cause fishes and sharks has many many different features, by which you could differentiate them as sharks as sharks and fishes as fishes.

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Fri Sep 23, 2005 7:54 pm

It is indeed very, strange since my info is also from a 2005 edtition book: Campbell, 7th edition. I will remain faithfull to my belief that shark are fish until i see info to convince me otherwise. It is a known fact that sharks are more primitive than bony fish, since all their organs are more primitive. Saying that Agnatha and all water Gnatostomata are fish is absurd, because this means that even wales and dolphins are fish, which is deffinetly not true
Regards,
Andrew
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

James
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by James » Fri Sep 23, 2005 8:35 pm

The name fishes have not have even systematic meaning. It can only depend on user of this word how he use it and on imagination what spectrum of animals he imaginates under this word.

Yes, the term fish encompasses many different lineages. Fish is not a monophyletic grouping, yet is still useful. From what I knew, sharks were included as fish.

pedro21101
Garter
Garter

Post by pedro21101 » Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:47 am

Ok, I looked at the first pages of that system and theres all heterotrophic protists classified as subkingdom monocytozoa of the kingdom animals. This i think is already not world wide accepted so it can be possible that this system is not world wide accepted, it could create only our professors at school. : :(

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Thu Sep 29, 2005 6:54 pm

About those fish. As i knew, and my bio teacher confirmed it: Gnatostomata is divided into 2 supraclasses: Pisces and Tetrapoda. Pisces are fish(from latin) and include both fish with cartilage skeleton and bony skeleton..
OUT
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

123Herpatology
Death Adder
Death Adder

Convergant Evolution

Post by 123Herpatology » Tue Oct 04, 2005 3:50 am

I heard somewhere that orca's, Dolphins, and porpoises all shared a common land ancestor, so could that still apply to the convergant evolution of a shark from which is much more primitive? :?: :?:

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Tue Oct 04, 2005 6:02 pm

Yes, it would. It shows how similar environmental conditions lead to the development of similar shapes...