catching snake

Animals!

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

pedro21101
Garter
Garter

catching snake

Post by pedro21101 » Thu Sep 15, 2005 7:21 pm

Hello. Excuse me that im wasting your time guys, but if anybody knows please let me inform me about what im concerning. Can i catch Aesculapian snake (elaphe longissima or zamenis longissima) by the hand in wild nature? I know that he isnt venomous but he can bite. Is this bite hurting? Does he bites by teeths(injecting me) or does he only bites like lizard?
Thanks, thanks, thanks. I live in environment when he lives and see him pretty frequently and would very like to catch him (and surely release them back). Thanks

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Thu Sep 15, 2005 7:32 pm

I don't know about that particular snake but there is an instrument?(don't know the name, the guys on Animal Planet use it) for catching snakes, even poisenous ones. So, i would say use that to be on the safe side
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

mith
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by mith » Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:35 pm

are you sure you can't find a net or a stick with a loop of rope?
Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
~Niebuhr

victor
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by victor » Fri Sep 16, 2005 12:06 pm

are you testing your hard skin?just be on the safe way..use the snake rod..
Q: Why are chemists great for solving problems?
A: They have all the solutions.

hurly
Coral
Coral

Post by hurly » Fri Sep 16, 2005 5:09 pm

Be a man and try catching a lion.
Be the king!

[Edited biology-online.org team. This is one of those things that you should listen to your parents and don't do :D ]

pedro21101
Garter
Garter

Post by pedro21101 » Sun Sep 18, 2005 9:12 am

Thanks for your recomendations guys. I asked it on one snake site and the pain is not so big so the hand seems to be still the best handling instrument after all. I will only little bleed.
Hahaha. Maybe sometimes Hurly but lions dont live in our country(how pity :-(((()

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Sun Sep 18, 2005 5:13 pm

pedro21101 wrote:Hahaha. Maybe sometimes Hurly but lions dont live in our country(how pity :-(((()

Go to the zoo! :D :D :D But, if your zoo's are anything like ours, than the lions are so thin, tained and hungry that you can probably pet them :D
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

pedro21101
Garter
Garter

Post by pedro21101 » Mon Sep 19, 2005 8:39 pm

Hmmm.....Im not sure if i would pet with hungry lion :roll: I could be his long-wished-for dinner. :) Maybe i will rush out to the mountain range and catch some ursus arctos, that could work :P

Mahlon
Garter
Garter

Post by Mahlon » Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:34 pm

Sounds like you already go the info you needed, but I'll post just a little bit. First the snake in question is not poisonous as you said, but has a decent head size and many sharp teeth, a bite will hurt but will scare you more than do any actual damage. Try to grasp behind the head firmly, and with a stick or your other hand control the body. Good luck

Beetle
Coral
Coral

Post by Beetle » Wed Sep 21, 2005 10:08 pm

Try to catch it for the tail with one hand and than slowly aproach with second behind snake`s head. When you see an opportunuty catch it behind head. It doesn`t have to be just behind the head but in the range of fist lenght. Snake should not be able to back her had and but you. All of this do slowly and gently and try to calm the snake first just by holding her by the tail. When you catch her alow her to wrap around your forearm, that will calm her down. Try not to use sticks or ropes couse you could damage her easily.
"In wildness is the preservation of the world" J. Hatfiled

pedro21101
Garter
Garter

Post by pedro21101 » Thu Sep 22, 2005 5:26 pm

Thanks guys, this tricks i quite know (i cought many natrix natrix 8) :lol: I only wanted to know what will happen if this unvenomous snake will bite me, if it will very very hurt or if it will hurt only little. And now i know so im prepared to catch him and to let him to vent his agressivity on my little soft velvety hand.