How to draw a blot from a RFLP physical map?

Genetics as it applies to evolution, molecular biology, and medical aspects.

Moderator: BioTeam

ssimon10
Garter
Garter

How to draw a blot from a RFLP physical map?

Post by ssimon10 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:43 pm

Here is the physical map of a region of DNA you are mapping by RFLP analysis:

===================
(probe)

_____|<-1.5kb->|<--2kb-->|<-1kb->|<----4Kb---->|
SITE: 1 2 3 4 5

The vertical lines with the numbers at the bottom( the numbers are beneath the vertical lines ) represent restriction sites for the enzyme EcoRI.; Sites 3 and 4 are polymorphic; the others are not. The distances between EcoRI sites are given. The extent of the probe you are using to detect the RFLP is indicated by a thick horizontal line (at top). You cut DNA from different individuals with EcoRI, separate fragments by electrophoresis, blot to a membrane, and hybridize the blot to a labeled probe. Draw a picture of what the blot will look like when the DNA comes from individuals homozygous for the following haplotypes:

the probe is on sites 2,3,4

the distance between site 1 and 2 is 1.5kb

site 2 and 3 is 2 kb sites 3 and 4 is 1kb and sites 4 and 5 is 4 kb ...

HAPLOTYPE SITE 3 SITE 4
A present present
B present absent
C absent present
D absent absent

This is what I know about how to approach this problem: All of the areas in between the restriction sites are from different individuals, right? I know that we're looking to know more about the variations in DNA sequence, and although usually knowing the object of the problem helps a lot, it doesn't seem to be helping here. I just... don't know what to do with the information I have, I guess. In class, I thought I knew what a haplotype meant, but I don't really know what it would mean to be "homozygous for the following haplotypes" followed by +/- data for letters whose origin I'm not even sure of. I guess I just need somebody to help me sort out all this information and point me in the right direction as far as how to start.

I am unable to figure out how i can represent a physical map on a DOT blot kindly help me out i really don't understand how it looks like on the paper please help me out with this i shall be great full to you. Thanks you guys.

Please help I am very lost! Best to you all

JackBean
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by JackBean » Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:07 pm

Hi,
all you need to understant is, whether there is the restriction site or is not. That tells you the table of haplotypes.Thus haplotype A has both EcoRI sites 3 and 4, while in haplotype the site 4 was mutated and thus the enzyme is not able to cut the DNA there, thus the DNA stays in one piece and makes 1 + 4 kbp fragment (the fragments between sites 3&4 and between sites 4&5).
However, human is not haploid, but diploid, thus you have two copies of your chromosomes. It can happen, that they both contain the same restriction sites (say haplotype B on both chromosomes, thus being homozygous for the haplotype B), but they do not have to. Each chromosome can contain different haplotypes and then you are heterozygous and contain e.g. haplotype A and haplotype D.
http://www.biolib.cz/en/main/

Cis or trans? That's what matters.

ssimon10
Garter
Garter

Re: How to draw a blot from a RFLP physical map?

Post by ssimon10 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:03 am

How would the presence or absence of site one have on the results? Would it just add an extra band on the blot?

JackBean
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by JackBean » Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:13 am

no, if is the site absence, two bands will disappear and one other (of the combined size of the previous two bands) will appear on the gel.

ssimon10
Garter
Garter

Re: How to draw a blot from a RFLP physical map?

Post by ssimon10 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:29 pm

What is site one is present? Since the probe is not one size one i thought in the presence you would not see any new band and in the absnece you would not see any change from the origional blot. Thanks for all your help I bet I will have a question later

JackBean
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by JackBean » Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:01 pm

where exactly does the probe binds? It's not much clear from your picture.

ssimon10
Garter
Garter

Post by ssimon10 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:18 pm

The probe covers the 2kb, 1kb, and half of 4kb fragments so everything between restriction sites 2 through 3, 3 through 4 and half of 4 through 5. ( Is this more clear?) so here is what I came up with let me know if I am on the right track if you do not mind. for lane A there would be a band 4 kb in length and 2 kb in length ( 1.5 and 1 bands are invisible), lane B would have a band at 5 kb ( 1 +4kb), and 2 kb ( 1.5 would be invisible), Lane C would have one at 4 kb, 3 kb ( 2+1), and (1.5 invisible), lane D would have one at 7kb (4+1+2), and 1.5 (invisible).
The next questions asks what effect would the presence or absence of site one have on the results?
For this I am not to sure of, but since the probe does not hybridized to site one then I would think it would not make much of a difference.

JackBean
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by JackBean » Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:28 pm

the 1 kbp fragment is visible, since it is covered with the probe!

If the fragment between sites 1 and 2 is not covered with the probe at all, the presence/absence of site 1 does not have any effect.