Pros and cons of regulating genetically modified crops?

Debate and discussion of any biological questions not pertaining to a particular topic.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

Joasht
Garter
Garter

Pros and cons of regulating genetically modified crops?

Post by Joasht » Fri Sep 09, 2005 4:28 pm

Eh.....wasn't sure where discussions about GM stuff went, so I decided to just post it here, hope you guys dont mind :lol:

Anyway this is for an essay which I was forced with (this was actually my last choice) that I happen to know very little about. The only pro I can think is about how it reduces the risk of the potential sideeffects of GM crops/food, while the only con I can think of would be for the producers themselves; aka those guys who develop the GM crops would get less money and such since they are regulated.

Any ideas? Any suggestions/ideas/links/references/whatever will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

hurly
Coral
Coral

Post by hurly » Fri Sep 09, 2005 5:15 pm

Sorry for my bad english, but what does PROS stand for? CONS is consequence right?

canalon
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by canalon » Fri Sep 09, 2005 5:26 pm

Pro and Con are 2 words coming from latin, Pro means "for" and is used for the favorable aspects of one decision/event, and Con meant "opposition" and stand for the unfavorable apsects of the decision/event.

And There is already a thread about that in one of the forums, Use the search engine, that would be a good start.

Patrick

mith
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by mith » Fri Sep 09, 2005 6:27 pm

The opposite of progress is congress.

Sorry :D had to throw that in there.

Yeah, the topic has been discussed a few times already.
search.php
Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
~Niebuhr

Joasht
Garter
Garter

Post by Joasht » Sat Sep 10, 2005 4:01 am

Eh.....I did a search but it didn't yield anything... maybe its my keywords, but honestly speaking, direct links would be greatly appreciated :D

mith
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by mith » Sat Sep 10, 2005 1:46 pm

here's my keyword:"genetically modified"

viewtopic.php?t=1013&highlight=gentically+modified

and there's a couple others too.
~Niebuhr

Joasht
Garter
Garter

Post by Joasht » Sun Sep 11, 2005 12:33 am

Thanks for the link....though the problem is many of the search results don't answer my question. I'm not asking what is a GM crop etc etc but what are the implications of regulating the production/use/etc of crops straight from their source. Like say one day we totally ban GM crops. What will happen? Etc.

canalon
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by canalon » Sun Sep 11, 2005 3:08 am

Joasht wrote:Thanks for the link....though the problem is many of the search results don't answer my question. I'm not asking what is a GM crop etc etc but what are the implications of regulating the production/use/etc of crops straight from their source. Like say one day we totally ban GM crops. What will happen? Etc.

A few answers thanks to our friend google:
From the
European Food safety authority a few ideas, and the FAQ about GM food is here with a broken link on the site.
You can also go on the genetech forum which despite being hosted by an anti-GMO had a good balance between pros and cons, at least around 2002/2003 when I subscribed. Although there were quite some flamewars...

Now we can discuss this a little further if you still have some questions.

Patrick

Joasht
Garter
Garter

Post by Joasht » Mon Sep 12, 2005 2:27 pm

Thanks!

Anyway I'm in the process of extracting stuff from the ~15 or so journals (sadly, a little here and a little there, nothing really solid yet), so I thought I'd start thinking about my points.

Pro's:
-Protection of human life
- Ecological protection (eg preventing genetic pollution)

Con's:
- Possible increase in cost (tax etc), and loss of income for GM crop producers.

Any ideas to top this? Its a 1500 word essay, but I'm hoping I can go in with at least 2 pro's and 2 con's, which means I need one more con. Of course, the more the merrier :D

Thanks again!

Winter
Coral
Coral

Post by Winter » Mon Sep 12, 2005 11:50 pm

one more con: stringent regulation could possibly discourage farmers from growing GM crops. They probably wouldn't want to grow GM crops if they had to go thru a lot of hassle and obstacles. Think in terms of 'red tape', etc. This decrease of farmers willing to grow such crops could hamper the progress of GM development. If fewer farmers are willing to take on GM crop growing, then fewer GM crops will be released. It will be harder to see the crops effects and consequences in the mainstream market.

mith
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by mith » Tue Sep 13, 2005 12:46 am

Protection of human life isn't a big problem, it's not likely that they would contaminate our supply with bt corn again.
~Niebuhr

Joasht
Garter
Garter

Post by Joasht » Tue Sep 13, 2005 12:32 pm

Thanks for the replies!

About the "protecting human life" thing I meant it more as in protecting human health. From a good number of sources, alot of them mentioend the possible implications/negative effects/etc that GM food (which are derived from crops) might have on human health.