Chocolate?

Debate and discussion of any biological questions not pertaining to a particular topic.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

Mastermind
Garter
Garter

Chocolate?

Post by Mastermind » Wed Sep 07, 2005 7:31 pm

I've heard somewhere that chocolate calms women down, during their periods. is it true? :?:

Poison
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by Poison » Wed Sep 07, 2005 7:56 pm

Chocolate calms down everyone. :) And yes, women usually like chocolate especially during periods.
It matters not how strait the gate
How charged with punishment the scroll
I am the Master of my fate
I am the Captain of my soul.

victor
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by victor » Thu Sep 08, 2005 11:12 am

Usually chocolate calms down everyone who have a tense because of narrowed blood vessels which is inducted by adrenaline hormone.
Chocolate is believed as PEA (Phenylethylamine, happy hormone) inducer by relieving the tensed blood vessels.
And for women's period, maybe this is my hypothesis, because I'm a man and don't feel that 'period'. Usually during that period blood vessels in uterus become large and...'here comes the pain'.. :lol: this pain sensation induces adrenaline hormone...so, they like to eat chocolate to relieve themselves because usually women in that period are 'emotional'.. :lol:
Q: Why are chemists great for solving problems?
A: They have all the solutions.

victor
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by victor » Fri Sep 09, 2005 11:58 am

Oh, one more addition...usually chocolate contains lesithine, our good friend..lesithine is also know as Phosphaditylcholine and will be degradated by our body become HDL that is good for our health..but remember, don't eat choclate to much since this is a healthy thing. Because even though it's healthy, chocolate also contains calories twice as much of carbohydrate..so..fats goes to fats... :lol:
Q: Why are chemists great for solving problems?
A: They have all the solutions.

biostudent1
Garter
Garter

Post by biostudent1 » Sun Sep 11, 2005 1:52 am

I heard that its not really chocolate the calms women down. I though that it was the release of serotonin that makes people feel good when they eat something that they crave. Although North American women often crave chocolate (it's the food that we often say we're "guilty" of eating) women from other countries crave different foods. I heard that in countries like Greece and Egypt, women crave savoury foods during their period.

Poison
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by Poison » Sun Sep 11, 2005 3:26 pm

Nearly all of the girls I know love chocolate or sweet things during their periods.
It matters not how strait the gate
How charged with punishment the scroll
I am the Master of my fate
I am the Captain of my soul.