Eating before you go to bed, good or not?

For discussing the functions of different structures of all organisms.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

hurly
Coral
Coral

Eating before you go to bed, good or not?

Post by hurly » Sat Sep 03, 2005 5:05 pm

Well, the topic says it all.
If you eat before you sleep, what will happen to the food/energy you gain from it during the night? It's not like your body is doing so much when you sleep (exept for all the mechanisms for keeping you alive of course, hehe)

Anyways, can it be stored so that you don't have to eat breakfast the next morning? To a person who wants to lose weight, is it a good idea to not eat after 9 pm? I have tested this and it looks like if I eat after 9 pm, I get really hungry the next morning and if I don't eat after 9 am, I don't get hungry at all.

Is it just me?

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Sat Sep 03, 2005 6:08 pm

Well, eating before you go to bed is not recommended. It is because all of your ogranism's functions slow down during sleep, including digestion. So you will have a very disturbed sleep. Also, since your anabolism is higher at night, especially when you sleep, it is not indicated to eat after 8 pm.
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

Poison
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by Poison » Sat Sep 03, 2005 8:04 pm

As much as I know, it is not good. I've heard that you should be awake for at least 2 hours after eating something.
It matters not how strait the gate
How charged with punishment the scroll
I am the Master of my fate
I am the Captain of my soul.

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Sat Sep 03, 2005 8:05 pm

Yeap, that is because the food stays in the stomach for 1,5 hours. 2 hours to be on the safe side :D
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

hurly
Coral
Coral

Post by hurly » Sat Sep 03, 2005 9:44 pm

Damn it, I just ate some corn... And it's 11:44 pm now... T_T

sharmccay2
Garter
Garter

Post by sharmccay2 » Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:31 pm

I was at a party not to long ago and it was after 9:00pm and they ordered pizza. I only ate one piece because it was late and they told me they heard that it didn't hurt to eat before bed and you can not gain weight....... now when did this start happening?Tell me this is not true.

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:37 pm

Your friends are wrong.

loveangel
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by loveangel » Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:41 am

but on my side, i do eat on dinner time, i usually get hungry from school, aheheheh.... im having a little problem, i really dont like to eat my breakfast meal anymore, and would go directly to school without eating my meal... its like im used to it, is there a problem about me?

Ragavendra samy
Garter
Garter

mechanism of storage

Post by Ragavendra samy » Fri Sep 01, 2006 5:42 am

Hello,
You had a doubt of what happens to the food you take in the night. what happens actually is that the energy produced as a result of it is stored as fat in your body and is used up whenever you are in need of it & also it my sugesstion for you and all to have an interval of 2-3 hrs before you go to bed hence your digestion and your health will be good.... 8)

surya
Coral
Coral

Post by surya » Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:07 am

hi loveangel, i do the exact same thing.my parents scold me when i dont eat my breakfast.so now the hav substituted with a glas of milk :shock: .i would hav preferred eatin. :?

loveangel
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by loveangel » Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:40 am

ahehhe... thanks, um, im starting to eat my breakfast meal now... um, i would prefer eating cereals and a milk with it. thats my breakfast meal now, and im trying to be used on it..

loveangel
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by loveangel » Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:42 am

so meaning, i shouldn't eat during night time? or in dinner time?