Getting scared/angry/feel pain

Human Anatomy, Physiology, and Medicine. Anything human!

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

echoSwe
Garter
Garter

Getting scared/angry/feel pain

Post by echoSwe » Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:45 pm

I have a question, and I have a cold. Furthermore this is my first post, so hello to all you biology people out there :)

About the cold.
Regular - spent a couple of hours paddling a boat in pouring rain whereafter I rode my bike approx. 8 km home (and there)
My nose is plugged up, got fever and suddenly, today that is, I got some sort of eye infection which is kinda annoying. It might be because I just finished a whole week's of full time school + homework (couldn't afford to be home)

About the question.
I was watching a film tonight, since it's friday and then I saw a scare scene. Suddenly I felt how the plug (well the snot high up in the nose channel) in my nose lifted.
This has happened to me before, but it also happens from anger, and pain. How come? Is anyone else out there experiencing something like that?

I also have two more questions - why does it itch when a wound is healing? And... Why can you get skin infections in the form of spots when your skin is put in wet conditions or hard pressure for a long time/frequently?

Now, after reading that post above I guess you're thinking that I'm a really wierd guy, but I promise that it's only that questions that are weird ;)

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Sat Sep 03, 2005 5:18 pm

About your nose: I am guessing it is the adrenalin or some other catecolamine. They flood your body when you hear fear, anxiety, angry etc... I do not understand extacly what you mean by the snot high up in the nose channel..
About the itching in a healing wound... I asked myself this a while back and haven't been able to find the answer in any of my books. But i am guessing that the dividing cells stimulate the pain receptors(mainly free nerve endings called algoreceptors-just a fancy name, basically means pain receptors :D )
About your skin infections. Though i do not know exactly what kind of wet environment you are reffering to or what kind of infection, what i can tell you is that a wet environment favours the proliferation of pathogen bacteria...
Well, i'm done trying to convince you that i know biology :D
Cheers,
Andrew
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

mith
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by mith » Sat Sep 03, 2005 6:02 pm

snot= solid plug of mucus.
Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
~Niebuhr