antimicrobial activity of marine algae...

About microscopic forms of life, including Bacteria, Archea, protozoans, algae and fungi. Topics relating to viruses, viroids and prions also belong here.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

Day
Garter
Garter

antimicrobial activity of marine algae...

Post by Day » Fri Sep 02, 2005 3:17 am

I need some information on how to determine the antimicrobial activity of a certain species of marine green algae.I'm asking for the methods...pls reply to this message as soon as possible...Thank you so much in advance...Have a nice day!

douglasi
Garter
Garter

Post by douglasi » Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:07 pm

there are a number of possible methods which you could use. the first and perhaps the easiest is to use a standard disc diffusion assay (Clinical Laboratory Science Institute,M42-a or M100-a) which are commonly used in antibiotic susceptibility testing. this will give you a rapid assessment. the second method is to use a Minimum Inhibitory Concentration assay (Clinical Laboratory Science Institute (M49-A) broth dilution assay). these two methods are fairly standard and should give you an indication of the effect. I would personally recommend using disc diffusion as it is by far the easiest method. hope this helps.