Why do we smell after a sleep?

Human Anatomy, Physiology, and Medicine. Anything human!

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Mon Aug 29, 2005 7:23 pm

I said that you don't necessarilly ventilate more during the day. And my opinion is that smelly substances are not volatile at all
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

canalon
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by canalon » Mon Aug 29, 2005 8:06 pm

MrMistery wrote: And my opinion is that smelly substances are not volatile at all

Well they are, obviously, otherwise you wouldn't smell them....

Patrick

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Mon Aug 29, 2005 8:47 pm

Yes, but not volatile enough as to evaporate off...
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

Dr.Stein
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by Dr.Stein » Sat Sep 03, 2005 2:39 pm

It is because during the sleep, our body system works in what we called active metabolism. During the metabolism, it produces secondary products (wastes) i.e. water vapor, heat, and other excretes, including bacterial products in some areas. The smell is produced by both intake (food) and our internal body system.

CynMari
Garter
Garter

Post by CynMari » Sat Sep 03, 2005 2:55 pm

<i>it produces secondary products (wastes) i.e. water vapor, heat, and other excretes,</i>

I'm not sure if this is actually relevent to the topic, but when I sleep, I actually get very warm (and it doesn't depend on the heaviness of the blanket or anything). Normally during the day, my skin is cooler than most, but I have been told that when I sleep I feel very hot. Could this maybe be the reason?
and if so, I am curious as to what the mechanism is....why it seems as though my metabolism goes into "hyperdrive" when I sleep??

I've looked for info on the internet but I haven't found anything...

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Sat Sep 03, 2005 5:41 pm

Actually any anatomy book that details the nervous system is going to tell you that when you sleep the blood vessels in your skin grow wider, so you lose heat through your skin.. Cheers

The smell is produced by both intake (food) and our internal body system.

Call me an idiot, but i don't understand what you mean...

mith
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by mith » Sat Sep 03, 2005 6:00 pm

They body actualy gets cooler during sleep due to the metabolism. That's why people have blankets.
Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
~Niebuhr

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Sat Sep 03, 2005 6:23 pm

Yeap, that's what i said.. In a geeky language :D

CynMari
Garter
Garter

Post by CynMari » Sat Sep 03, 2005 7:14 pm

ah! so body temperature is actually cooler although (in my case) the skin feels warmer?
It does make sense if the blood vessels are wider...
thanks!

victor
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by victor » Tue Sep 13, 2005 12:43 pm

Hey, also...don't forget that in the smell that we made after sleep, there are also some feromones in it..the prove is..some people like their smell after sleep..
Q: Why are chemists great for solving problems?
A: They have all the solutions.

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Tue Sep 13, 2005 6:35 pm

feromones are mostly inactive at humans. We produce a lot less and also the receptors in your nose are mostly non-functional. If you think about the 11 kilometer feromon detector Bombyx, we are nothing :D

canalon
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by canalon » Tue Sep 13, 2005 8:24 pm

MrMistery wrote:feromones are mostly inactive at humans. We produce a lot less and also the receptors in your nose are mostly non-functional. If you think about the 11 kilometer feromon detector Bombyx, we are nothing :D

In fact Pheromones are active with human. Maybe not at long range, but active nontheless. I remember reading recently a news clip about a pheromone spray that would cause sprayed people to become more trusty even when they obviously shouldn't... Scientist were publishong this, but it is not exactly reassuring!

Patrick