Does macrophage affect good bacterias?

Discussion of all aspects of cellular structure, physiology and communication.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

Jiiang
Garter
Garter

Does macrophage affect good bacterias?

Post by Jiiang » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:04 am

Hi every one :) this is my first post, I need your helps.
Your answers are welcome and I will be very happy if I read some :).
I am doing the research about macrophage, I realize that macrophage cells can rid the body of worn-out cells and other debris... also virus, bad bacterias..
"Macrophages provide yet another line of defense against tumor cells and somatic cells infected with fungus or parasites... "
When I supply B-Glucan and Probiotic (good bacterias alive) products at the same time for my cat-fish farm (pangasius), is that ok?

So does it affect the good bacterias such as Lactobacillus spp or subtilus spp that located in gastrointestinal tract of those fish?

Please help me.

Thanks everyone for the answers in advance

canalon
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by canalon » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:06 pm

First Most of the macrophage are in the circulatory ssystem, not in GI tract or any other outside place of the body.
Second, there are no good bacteria when they enter the circulatory system.
Third, and as an aside there are no evidence that pro and prebiotic have any clinical impact, at least on human health. They mostly affact your wallet, making it thinner.
And fourth, fish immunology is quite different from human and even mammals in general, so be careful that what you learn in one case might be quite different fom what is happening in your fishes.
Patrick

Science has proof without any certainty. Creationists have certainty without
any proof. (Ashley Montague)

Jiiang
Garter
Garter

Post by Jiiang » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:09 pm

Thanks canalon very much.
Your answer is very helpful, I completely understand how macrophage works :)
and about the probiotics, I tested on the diseased fish pond, those fish was attacked by Edwardsiella ictaluri, I had fed them with high amount of Lactobacillus reuteri, L acidophilus, L casei instead of using Antibiotic - and surprisingly the number of dead fish was reducing day by day to minimum. However I did not fully believe in this result and tested it again on another pond, I think it worked, but I'm going to test more again and again to be sure, and next time I will combine Lac spp with B-Glucan to support the macrophages.