Which biology branch should i choose?

Debate and discussion of any biological questions not pertaining to a particular topic.

Moderators: Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

TamaDP
Garter
Garter

Which biology branch should i choose?

Post by TamaDP » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:50 pm

Hi everyone!

I'm a biology student from Spain, and next year i've to choose the branch i want to do, the problem is, i love 2 of them, and i can't do both of them together. So, what do you think? Would you go for Neurobiology or Biotechnology?

I guess i could always do a master in the one i don't chose, but... still i can't decide.
I really need your help!

jonmoulton
Viper
Viper

Re: Which biology branch should i choose?

Post by jonmoulton » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:46 pm

There is no definite path for either of these options, but I have an impression about the likely probable outcomes:

Neurobio leads toward academia.
Biotech leads toward industry.

There are industry neurobiologists and academic biotechnologists, but my impression is that these positions are not abundant. There are many neurobiologists in academia, many biotechnologists in industry. Do you want to be a grant-funded researcher, and entrepreneur, an industry employee? This might affect your choice of topic to study.

TamaDP
Garter
Garter

Re: Which biology branch should i choose?

Post by TamaDP » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:37 pm

I have always wanted to be a researcher, but my grades are not very good, so that would be, not impossible, but hard to achieve. I don't know what to do... I'm a mess.
Thanks anyway.

sharleenreyna
Garter
Garter

Post by sharleenreyna » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:40 am

I think it will be better if you take biotechnology..