whats the largest biological level of study

Debate and discussion of any biological questions not pertaining to a particular topic.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

dana
Garter
Garter

please help!!!

Post by dana » Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:50 pm

whats the largest biological level of study i know its not animals

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Thu Aug 18, 2005 7:02 pm

What do you mean? Do you mean which branch of biology has the widest opening? I would say genetics...
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

Poison
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by Poison » Fri Aug 19, 2005 2:43 pm

I can't say I've understood the question.
It matters not how strait the gate
How charged with punishment the scroll
I am the Master of my fate
I am the Captain of my soul.

Dr.Stein
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by Dr.Stein » Mon Aug 22, 2005 12:27 am

Do you mean the trend of study in biology? If it it so, it depends on 'when the study is'. I mean the first period of studying biology was in gross level, further it was about cellular level, and nowadays it is about molecular level. This is a natural process that we study things from the macro-scale, which is simpler, to the micro-scale, which is much more complicated and will be known after we understand the previous study (macro-scale).

But the trend also depends on the branch of this science. For instance, >20 years ago, one of the subjects studied in Immunology was focused on macrophage until there was a discovery of the nice dendritic cell (DC). Nowadays, we study all aspects of DC. Then we found that this kind of cell is a professional immunocompetent cell, which is much better than its colleague, the macrophage.