Maximum Usage of Defibrillator???

Human Anatomy, Physiology, and Medicine. Anything human!

Moderators: Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

b_d_41501
King Cobra
King Cobra

Maximum Usage of Defibrillator???

Post by b_d_41501 » Thu Aug 18, 2005 2:39 am

What is the maximum amount of shocks that the human body can handle using a defibrillator? I'm not asking for voltage, etc. I'm asking like after 50 consecutive uses of the defibrillator would the person die??
"Take four red capsules, in ten minutes take two more. Help is on the way."
----- Voice from the Medicine Cabinet

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Thu Aug 18, 2005 6:17 pm

The difibrilator is used to revive a person that does not have any pulse. If you use it 50 times and no result, the guy is dead. Also i think the electricity would kill you, considering that if they have reached the point of using a defibrilator your body is very weak. However this is only my opinion, i really do not have that much knowledge of anatomy, YET(but learning...)
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

b_d_41501
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by b_d_41501 » Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:35 pm

I was asking because my aunt suffered a massive heart attack and they used it 60 times on her. She is improving as of now, I was just wondering what the maximum amount of times it could be used. She also has deep electrical burns on her chest.

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:40 pm

And she did not die after 60 times? Surprising.... I always thought using it 20-30 times would kill you, especially if you just had a heart attack
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

b_d_41501
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by b_d_41501 » Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:33 pm

As did I. She had three blockages and after being totally without oxygen for ~10 minutes, they were shocking her for the next 55 minutes trying to save her. She's doing better but I still didn't know they could shock 60+ times.

iri_black
Coral
Coral

Post by iri_black » Mon Aug 22, 2005 3:34 pm

I think it's a problem of voltage. The defibrilator is set in a way that can influence the heart, but not in a dangerous way...(don't know if that's clear enough). and the burns are normal, but that can be healed easily.
"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort" - H. Albright

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Mon Aug 22, 2005 6:09 pm

The defibrilator is set to release a very high tension, but at a very small intensity(physiscs 101)

b_d_41501
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by b_d_41501 » Thu Aug 25, 2005 6:04 pm

Yes, well she is doing absolutely fine as of now. She has no brain damage whatsoever, and she is now released from the hospital. I guess some things can't be explained logically?? :shock:

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Thu Aug 25, 2005 6:09 pm

Yes it can. It is probably that the intensity of the electrical curent is to small to cause any real damage, even after using it 50 times. In 6th grade(a few years back) i was taught that 2 mA can change the heart rate. If this is so, than it is PROBABLY that a higher intensity of the electrical curent is needed to stop the heart or influence the nervous system.
An explination exists for sure. We built the damned thing, we can explain it :D

b_d_41501
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by b_d_41501 » Thu Aug 25, 2005 6:16 pm

I'm not talking about explaining the use of the defibrillator, I'm talking about how there is no brain damage in a woman who had minimum to no oxygen being transported to her organs and brain. They were doing CPR to keep the blood pumping, but after nearly an hour without normal oxygen levels, there are usually some evidence of brain damage/organ damage.

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Thu Aug 25, 2005 6:29 pm

She was watery :D
Last edited by MrMistery on Thu Aug 25, 2005 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

b_d_41501
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by b_d_41501 » Thu Aug 25, 2005 6:33 pm

??? I don't understand the last post?