Early genetic code

Genetics as it applies to evolution, molecular biology, and medical aspects.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

ManBearPig89
Garter
Garter

Early genetic code

Post by ManBearPig89 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:36 am

Hello! :)

I was wondering about the first replicators in Earth's history and the genetics of life on other plantes. I have some questions...

Is the main view in genetics that our genetic code is a result of competition among early replicating molecules, leaving RNA/DNA as "winners"?

Have there been any serious sugestions on other molecules doing DNA/RNA's job, and is it possible that "different species" of early life on earth had fundamentaly different propherties in genetic material, different replicating molecules translating different proteins? I can imagine this, but DNA/RNA would than obviously "make the best" bacteria, as all life we know of use DNA/RNA..

I am guessing that the "primorial sup" were filled of a huge number of differnt molecules, some replicators, and by chanse RNA (or "pre- RNA") would form/evolve and outcompete the other replicators..

Any thoughts?

JackBean
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by JackBean » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:08 am

first of all, in the beginning they were probably only replicating, not working as template for translation ;)
http://www.biolib.cz/en/main/

Cis or trans? That's what matters.

ManBearPig89
Garter
Garter

Post by ManBearPig89 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:19 pm

As long as the replicators are not working from within a cell, that is obvious, yes.

JackBean
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by JackBean » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:12 pm

so, you don't have to worry about alternative genetic code, rigth?
http://www.biolib.cz/en/main/

Cis or trans? That's what matters.

Darby
Viper
Viper

Post by Darby » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:54 pm

There's the replicating clay theory, which also has the advantage of the clays being attractive to nucleotides and possible templates for the first RNAs.