competitive inhibitors

Discussion of all aspects of cellular structure, physiology and communication.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

Hudson
Garter
Garter

competitive inhibitors

Post by Hudson » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:22 pm

You are observing an enzyme-driven reaction. To the reaction mixture, you add a chemical, X, that inhibits the reaction. You suspect that X is a competitve inhibitor. What 2 pieces of evidence might lead you to this conculsion?

I'm a little lost on this question. I compared competitive inhibitors with noncompetitive inhibitors, but im not sure if i'm on the right track. I thought maybe one piece of evidence could be that the reaction was occuring at the active site when it stopped because competitive inhibitors do their work there, but how would one know if thats wehre the reaction was taking place. can you see a reaction take place and where?? . Or would i have to say that i was observing a plotting a Vmax graph and the results indicated it was competitive?

Please help :(

JackBean
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by JackBean » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:05 am

sure, plot is a good indication.The other could be structure similar to substrate or cofactor, which might be replaced and thus the reaction inhibited
http://www.biolib.cz/en/main/

Cis or trans? That's what matters.

sconov
Garter
Garter

Post by sconov » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:52 am

try to add more the substrate. if the substrate is higher than the competitive inhibitor, the competitive inhibitor will lose its ability to use active site of enzyme.

JackBean
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by JackBean » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:06 am

that's not that simple. That depends on both KM of the substrate and Ki of the inhibitor
http://www.biolib.cz/en/main/

Cis or trans? That's what matters.