Na,K-ATPase as a pump. Request for Reference(s)

Discussion of all aspects of cellular structure, physiology and communication.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

JackBean
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by JackBean » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:28 am

Because of this pump, the concentration of K+ in the cell is above that in the medium and the concentration of Na+ is lower than in the medium. The pump works continuously, using energy. Once the pump stops working, K+ leaves the cells, and Na+, conversely, enters them. If we turn on the pump again, it will start to pump Na+ out of the cells, and K+ will be pumped into the cell.

this is not enough?
http://www.biolib.cz/en/main/

Cis or trans? That's what matters.

JackBean
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by JackBean » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:01 am

on?
http://www.biolib.cz/en/main/

Cis or trans? That's what matters.

canalon
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by canalon » Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:37 am

Patrick

Science has proof without any certainty. Creationists have certainty without
any proof. (Ashley Montague)

canalon
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by canalon » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:33 am

First, I notice that the first author is also the editor of the journal. Not necessarily bad, but not a good sign. And he seems to publish almost exclusively there, at least from what I see in Pubmed.
Second, the journal belong to the lower ranked journal in every category it belongs according to Scopus, second red flag.
Third, if you go on the journal website, the ego trip of the author/editor is quite obvious :all his papers are singled out in front of each issue of the journal he published in on the home page. Quite the red flag here.
This looks like a B. Charlton/Medical hypothesis type of thing. Not good at all.
The most recent paper with the addendum at the end is quite hilarious, and seems to show that Gilbert Ling has a very high opinion of his pet hypothesis that do not seem to be shared by the rest of the world. I am not competent to judge the content of the experiments presented in the paper you specifically pointed out, but I cannot say that they look extremely convincing. Now if I look at Google scholar and type "Na K pump cloning" I can find quite of lot of papers that have identified genes coding for a trans-membrane protein that can cause changes in the composition of the cell cytoplasm of cells when their activity is induced (meaning that they can be present and silent) that are in line with what would be expected with the model that everybody uses, but quite different from what one would expect considering the AI hypothesis of Dr Ling.
In short, I would likely conclude that the current paradigm is quite firmly established, and that the AI model is irrelevant.
Patrick

Science has proof without any certainty. Creationists have certainty without
any proof. (Ashley Montague)