cellular addressing question

Discussion of all aspects of cellular structure, physiology and communication.

Moderators: Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Mon Aug 15, 2005 8:39 pm

What the **** is going on here? I see answers, but i don't see any questions...
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

JS
Garter
Garter

Post by JS » Tue Aug 16, 2005 2:32 am

Sorry, I got frustrated and deleted the questions because I thought I wouldn't be able to get any answers.

Thanks for trying to help me anyways though Dr. Stein!
Maybe Mr Mistery could provide me some insight now though..

okay my question was:

I asked someone this: (Because slime molds can connect up to each other)
Could you explain in layman's terms (Like in as simple/easily understandable a way as possible)) how it would be possible/what ways it would be possible to make an organ (Eg a heart or something) in a multi-cellular organism (Like a cat) connect up to another organ (Eg the same type) with the genes of the slime mold? (Or the genes of something else that could be used for the same purpose) (Eg using genetic engineering)

and they said:

You would have to get the slime mold gene into the right part of the genome so that it is only expressed in the cells outside the organ in question. Hypothetically this should be possible since certain regions in the genome are turned on and off in different cells, so if you put this gene in a postion which is only transcribed by thse cells there shouldn't be a problem. Now, where things start getting really complicated is when you start talking about ensuring that the connecting protiens are sent to the cellular membrane. I don't know how this could be accomplished, and it sounds pretty difficult. This might require more knowlege of the cellular mechanisms that control protien packing than is currently known. However, I don't rule out the possibility that somebody somewhere in the world knows how to do it. It seems unlikely , though.

I wanted to know if that would require more knowledge of the cellular mechanisms that control protein packing than is currently known, and if not, who would have that knowledge

thanks