Microbiology help

About microscopic forms of life, including Bacteria, Archea, protozoans, algae and fungi. Topics relating to viruses, viroids and prions also belong here.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

junior272
Garter
Garter

Microbiology help

Post by junior272 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:12 am

Hi all,

I have an assignment to complete and need some help on it, so any help given will be appreciated. I am currently studying Microbiology and the question relates to food microbiology.

Basically i have to answer the following question:

Campylobacter and Salmonellae are the most common causes of bacterial
gastroenteritis. Compare and contrast the incidence, epidemiology,
transmission and pathogenicity of these organisms.

I am struggling to understand all of this and i have been researching but i may have over done it with the research and now im just confused. Could someone explain the following in terms of food microbiology and what i should be including for each section below?

What does it mean by epidemiology?

What does it mean transmission?

What does it mean by pathogenicity?

I am not asking for anyone to complete the question for me just a simple breakdown of what the above terms mean and what kind of information i should be looking to include in each section.

magicsiew
Coral
Coral

Post by magicsiew » Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:46 am

Epidemiology is the study on the health and illness level in term of population and the factors it associated with.

Transmission in term of Micriobiology is the transfer of infectious disease/pathogen from one place/host to another place/host.

Pathogenicity is the ability of a pathogen to cause disease.