HELP! Apterous X Wild Cross (Linkage)

Genetics as it applies to evolution, molecular biology, and medical aspects.

Moderators: Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

akeesh
Garter
Garter

HELP! Apterous X Wild Cross (Linkage)

Post by akeesh » Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:17 pm

Basically my question is whether there is linkage in a Drosophila with a wild x apterous cross?

I was hoping to mention linkage in the introduction of my lab report so I want to clarify this so I can understand better.

My online research has given me mixed answers.

I know just by looking at my data and from my teacher that the cross does not yield to any sex-linkage. Although i am having a harder time finding information about regular linkage. The only thing I have found on linkage in apterous is that black flies tend to have linkage to apterous. This does not affect me because I used wild flies which are not black. Clarification Wild= Regular organism found in wild.

I really appreciate if someone could inform me about linkage in apterous x wild cross. Thank you to anybody that can help me.

JackBean
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by JackBean » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:08 am

what linkage are you talking about?
http://www.biolib.cz/en/main/

Cis or trans? That's what matters.

magicsiew
Coral
Coral

Post by magicsiew » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:50 pm

First, do you know linkage and sex-linked are 2 different thing?

Yes, you are right that black body and apterous gene are close together and may segregate together.

What you need to do now is google on " Drosophila chromosome map". It will show you all the information you will require.

I have the map and try to attach few times here, but it keep on fail. Anyway, you will find the map easily on the web.