Microbiology Research Ideas

About microscopic forms of life, including Bacteria, Archea, protozoans, algae and fungi. Topics relating to viruses, viroids and prions also belong here.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

pharmacystudent
Garter
Garter

Microbiology Research Ideas

Post by pharmacystudent » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:05 am

Dear fellow scientists,

My name is Arif. I am currently a premed student, hoping to switch to pharmacy. This semester we were assigned to come up with a research question, hypothesis, and a research proposal by the end of the semester. The actual procedure, results, and discussion aren't due till next semester. The only requirement for research project is that it has to cover a "hot topic," meaning that the question and hypothesis I am asking is not already answered and done.

I have been experiencing "writer's block" if you will. My first questions pertained to plants and bacteria but after doing thorough literary search on the web, I discovered that someone already answered those :(

I have access to a light microscope and more sophisticated tools if needed. Most likely, I will do these in a bio lab.
Can experts in the field kindly assist me in coming up with a testable hypothesis? :D I am looking to do something with bacteria or or microorganisms.

Any new ideas for my project will be appreciated :)

Thank You!! I am looking forward to some replies :D

JackBean
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by JackBean » Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:42 pm

I think this is quite stupid, because how can student know, whether something was already answered? Tutor should know that...

What about the role of miaE in E.coli?
http://www.biolib.cz/en/main/

Cis or trans? That's what matters.

pharmacystudent
Garter
Garter

Post by pharmacystudent » Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:55 pm

THis is a college class so we are expected to a thorough literature research

stopherlogic
Death Adder
Death Adder

Re: Microbiology Research Ideas

Post by stopherlogic » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:27 am

Probiotics are fairly current and a lot of research is being done into thier efficacy, maybe you could devise a hypothesis around that. One idea could be to try to recreate the acidic conditions of the stomach and test various probiotics survival.

worldcmk
Garter
Garter

Re: Microbiology Research Ideas

Post by worldcmk » Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:54 pm

I am a microbiologist and am willing to dd a research.I would like to hearing you.