Ecology Project

Debate and discussion of any biological questions not pertaining to a particular topic.

Moderators: Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

Ruby
Garter
Garter

Ecology Project

Post by Ruby » Mon Aug 08, 2005 2:18 am

Okay I found out yesterday that I need to have a project completed by the first day of school.... today I tried an experiment with photosynthesis and things didn't go so well. :? Does anyone know of an experiment or a site with experiments?? Thank you in advance.

James
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by James » Mon Aug 08, 2005 10:54 am

Use your imagination, there's plenty.

ERS
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by ERS » Mon Aug 08, 2005 1:38 pm

what level/grade are you in?

Dr.Stein
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by Dr.Stein » Mon Aug 08, 2005 3:39 pm

Wait, your title said that it is an ecology project but you did the photosynthesis experiment.. Doesn't it a physiology experiment? :?

Ruby
Garter
Garter

Post by Ruby » Mon Aug 08, 2005 5:23 pm

I will be a senior in AP Biology... I thought it would fall under ecology because it was dealing with the behavior and actions of the plants according to the amount of light.

Dr.Stein
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by Dr.Stein » Tue Aug 09, 2005 4:45 am

I don't think so. The effect of lights on plants photosynthesis... that still sounds physiology to me..

Why don't you start to observe the vegetation and their architecture that construct in a given area? For example, do some sampling on with several points an area along such a river, from the upper part to the lower part. You will have data that show kind of plant species that construct that area, the distribution of those plants, density, frekuensi, dominance. In the discussion, for example, you will talk about reasons why such plants can grow well, whether the other ones are limited. You will count the abiotic factors that influence their existance. You even compare the vegetation from one season to another season or something else. That's a common experiment in ecology, it is simple and easy :wink:

zami'87.
Coral
Coral

Post by zami'87. » Tue Aug 09, 2005 7:18 am

you could do with lichens-some are very sensitive to air pollution. Make a list of species in your place, and explain specific arrangement from center to outskirts. :?
Every man is a star whose light can make shadows dance differently and change our view of landscape permanently***

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Tue Aug 09, 2005 8:09 pm

The experiment with the effects of light on photosynthesis is a classical physiology experiment
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

Ruby
Garter
Garter

Post by Ruby » Wed Aug 10, 2005 3:14 am

I think I will do the observation of vegetation experiment. I only have one day left so hopefully I can get it done. Wow I got the idea out of an Ecology book... I guess it is a good thing the experiment didn't work properly!! :D

Dr.Stein
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by Dr.Stein » Wed Aug 10, 2005 10:19 am

What? One day left? :shock: I think it is not a good idea for you if you will apply the vegetation analysis as I told you. It needs more than a day, especially to identify the species plants exist :(

You can try another experiment, the simpler one: distinguish vegetation in one sampling area, between open area part and shaded area part. Count the number of species exist and the number of individual within each species. Process the data to obtain the diversity or species richness between two ares. Compare the result and discuss considering the environmental factors as temperature, illumination, water supply, etc. That's all. Faster and easier. You can make it even in few hours :)

Good luck with your experiment, Ruby. If you got a problem, we are here to help :wink: