Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

damien
Garter
Garter

Which is smartest? Parrot, Chimpanzee, Dolphin, Rico

Post by damien » Sat Aug 06, 2005 12:05 am

Which animal is the smartest?

1. Rico the Border Collie
—(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rico_(Border_Collie)
Rico the border collie became famous after he was studied by psychologists who verified that he learned more than 200 words—“Rico's vocabulary was thus broadly comparable to that of language-trained apes, dolphins, sea lions, and parrots.”

2. A Dolphin

3. A Chipanzee

4. Alex the African Grey parrot
—(http://www.alexfoundation.org/research/ ... rvard.html)
Alex the parrot also learned the names of many objects and could retrieve them according to color or shape as well as the names of the objects.
[/u][/b]

iri_black
Coral
Coral

Post by iri_black » Sat Aug 06, 2005 6:18 am

I would have to say a dolphin. In the documentaries I have seen, dolphin could also recognise the shape of objects and retrieve them.
Also, dolphins are still studied and I think we have a lot to learn about them yet.
But that's only my opinion, of course :) and I have to say I am subjective, because dolphins fescinate me :)
"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort" - H. Albright

James
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by James » Sun Aug 07, 2005 10:41 pm

It's going to boil down to what 'smartness', or intelligence means and involves, which has been talked about a lot on the forum before.

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Wed Aug 10, 2005 7:36 pm

James is right. I remember a poll about what animal is the smartest. Kyle and myself voted bacteria 8)
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter