question regarding majoring in biology

Debate and discussion of any biological questions not pertaining to a particular topic.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

bcho90
Garter
Garter

question regarding majoring in biology

Post by bcho90 » Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:16 pm

hello people, I'm pretty new to this forum.

well, first of all, I am a college student on a leave of absence for a year due to personal a reason.
I am planning on majoring in biology (or quite possibly bio-chem).

I was talking to a guy in a medical school, and he asked me if i was doing pre-med with my bio major. I'm not really interested in medical school so I said no, and that I'm more interested in genetics or bio-chem kind of stuff.

to this he told me that even if that's the case, I should still try to go to a medical school because most careers related to genetics or bio-chem, even non-medical, will still prefer those who went to medical schools over those who just studied pure science like bio (I AM planning on going to a grad school after majoring in bio in college, by the way)

in short, he told me that if I want to do anything that has to do with biological research, genetics, etc., it's pretty much always better to go to a med school than to go to a grad school.

is there some truth to this guy's advice??
if anybody can expand on it, please do so for me.

thank you

Darby
Viper
Viper

Post by Darby » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:53 am

There are some areas where an MD - PhD combination will put you ahead, but just the MD will not prepare you for a lot of research areas.

jonmoulton
Viper
Viper

Re: question regarding majoring in biology

Post by jonmoulton » Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:56 pm

Of the ~12 people working at the small biotech where I am employed, six have natural science Ph.D.s, two are engineers, and no one has a medical degree. An M.D. is not a research degree, but if you want to work with human tissues in research it helps you get access to samples. It all depends on what you want to do.