Action Potential Help---Urgent Help!

Debate and discussion of any biological questions not pertaining to a particular topic.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

violinist1225
Garter
Garter

Action Potential Help---Urgent Help!

Post by violinist1225 » Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:44 pm

Hello everyone :)

I am Sooooo confused about the action potential concept in biology. I have tried for a while to read it and understand it, but it's not clicking. So, a simple way at looking my question would be appreciated as I really need to understand it in a short time.

My question: How does 3 Sodium ions out of the cell and 2 Potassium ions in the cell create a NEGATIVE potential inside the cell, so that excess charge is pumped out of the cell?

Isn't Sodium and Potassium both positively charged ions? A positive charge ion means that an element has lost an electron, correct?

I believe that I understood correctly that negative and positive are relative terms, but I am soo confused. Does the -70 mv mean that it is negative literally? Or something else?

A brief overview of this concept as it relates to my question would be SO appreciated. :D

JackBean
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by JackBean » Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:55 pm

first of all 3 Na+ = 2 K+ => 3+ != 2+ ;)
second, there are plenty of other transporters ;)
http://www.biolib.cz/en/main/

Cis or trans? That's what matters.

violinist1225
Garter
Garter

Post by violinist1225 » Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:09 pm

Thanks JackBean for answering.

I would appreciate someone else insights on this topic as this specific transporter I have to understand very soon.