Transcripts analysis

Discussion of all aspects of biological molecules, biochemical processes and laboratory procedures in the field.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

roniadam
Death Adder
Death Adder

Transcripts analysis

Post by roniadam » Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:39 pm

Hi

I am working on in vitro expression analysis. I have transfected a mammalian cell line with a gene of wild type and mutant one. surprisingly, I found that the transcript level of the wild type gene was less than the mutant (which is against the logic theory where the wild type should be expressed more than the mutant)..... I wondered what is the reason behind the less expression of the wild type than the mutant one.... any idea because I got exhausted with this without finding an answer :( ????????

JackBean
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by JackBean » Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:53 pm

what promotor did you use? What gene was that?
http://www.biolib.cz/en/main/

Cis or trans? That's what matters.

kolean
Coral
Coral

Post by kolean » Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:36 pm

What was the vector you used? Are they both the same? and how was the mutant made? is it deletions or substitutions?
Was the one transgene integrated into the genome perhaps?
How did you quantify the transcripts? perhaps the vector was not being being replicated thru the cell cycle?
My favorite of course would be epigenetics. How is your gene normal expressed? did you add some cis acting elements to your vector with the gene? does the mutation confer some kind of cis acting element?

roniadam
Death Adder
Death Adder

Re: Transcripts analysis

Post by roniadam » Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:48 am

I used T-A cloning vector and for the promotor, I used the gene's itself promotor and it showed a nice expression with the mutant but less expression with the wild type. the mutation was a point mutation (single nucleotide substitusion). Any idea for how to make the wild type to be more expressed than the mutant one??? or any idea about the causes of this less expression. ????

JackBean
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by JackBean » Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:53 am

My guess would be that the WT is expressed as normally and as is it active, it is not needed much to express, but the mutant is lacking activity and thus must be expressed in higher amounts ;)
http://www.biolib.cz/en/main/

Cis or trans? That's what matters.