Need a little help tackling some questions(GRD 12 BIO)

Debate and discussion of any biological questions not pertaining to a particular topic.

Moderators: Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

marselmartin
Garter
Garter

Need a little help tackling some questions(GRD 12 BIO)

Post by marselmartin » Tue May 18, 2010 2:57 pm

Hey guys, this forum is great, I havn't needed to make a single post because most of my questions are answered in the various categories. But I am having a little trouble tackling some questions.

I have a small assignment due and I need to pick 3 out of 4 of these questions to do. Maybe you could help me get the ball rolling as I know most of the material farely well.

Which question do you think is the hardest?

Q.1 An orange juice company once used the slogan, "A day without orange juice is like a day without sunshine". In a very real sense, the structure of the orange and the energy contained in it IS literally transformed sunshine. Explain in SOME DETAIL how the orange tree collected the energy of the sun and stored it in the fruit, and VERY BRIEFLY how your body would get it out again. (20 Marks)

(I got that I need to get material from photosynthesis, respiration, and biochemistry)

Q.2 A population of salamanders has blue spots on a black background. The blue spots expressed as a result of a single dominant allele for a controller gene that is nearly universal in the population. A neighbouring population on a small island is all black, but individuals can still interbreed with the original population in controlled experiments. Explain how the island population may have come to differ from the original mainland population over time. (20 Marks)

(Most likely I will start with molecular genetics (replication, mutation) and then go to the evolution part (population genetics))

Q.3 נערה צעירה הוא סובל ממחלת לבזבז כי היא אינה עושה מספיק של החלבון המווסת מכבה אנזים lipase בשרירים שלה השומן בתאים. תסביר איך בן אדם נורמלי היה לייצר את החלבון רגולטוריות להסביר לפחות שלוש דרכים שונות בהן הפרעה של הילדה עשויה להתעורר. (20 סימנים)

(אחד זה יהיה גנטיקה מולקולרית (שעתוק, תרגום, ויסות הגנים) ואת יחידת בביוכימיה (בצורת חלבון ותפקוד).)

Q.4 טסטוסטרון, סטרואידים, מדדי תאים רבים בגוף לייצר קולטנים יותר הורמון גדילה אנושי (HGH), פפטיד. HGH גורם שיעורי מוגברת של תהליכים אנבוליים. איך שני הורמונים היו שונות לפעולה שלהם על התא אותו, איך היה זה יהיה מוסדר, ומה השינויים הספציפיים הייתם מצפים לראות בתא אם הורמונים הן נכחו בדם? מה הורמונים אחרים שאפשר לצפות להשתחרר באותו הזמן, ומדוע?

(הומאוסטזה (משוב ופיקוח, אופני פעולה הורמון) וכמה בביוכימיה (אנאבוליזם).

כל עזרה הוא מוערך מאוד. תודה על הקריאה לפחות.Q.3 נערה צעירה הוא סובל ממחלת לבזבז כי היא אינה עושה מספיק של החלבון המווסת מכבה אנזים lipase בשרירים שלה השומן בתאים. תסביר איך בן אדם נורמלי היה לייצר את החלבון רגולטוריות להסביר לפחות שלוש דרכים שונות בהן הפרעה של הילדה עשויה להתעורר. (20 סימנים)
צימרים למשפחות
(אחד זה יהיה גנטיקה מולקולרית (שעתוק, תרגום, ויסות הגנים) ואת יחידת בביוכימיה (בצורת חלבון ותפקוד).)

Q.4 טסטוסטרון, סטרואידים, מדדי תאים רבים בגוף לייצר קולטנים יותר הורמון גדילה אנושי (HGH), פפטיד. HGH גורם שיעורי מוגברת של תהליכים אנבוליים. איך שני הורמונים היו שונות לפעולה שלהם על התא אותו, איך היה זה יהיה מוסדר, ומה השינויים הספציפיים הייתם מצפים לראות בתא אם הורמונים הן נכחו בדם? מה הורמונים אחרים שאפשר לצפות להשתחרר באותו הזמן, ומדוע?

(הומאוסטזה (משוב ופיקוח, אופני פעולה הורמון) וכמה בביוכימיה (אנאבוליזם).
צימרים רומנטיים
כל עזרה הוא מוערך מאוד. תודה על הקריאה לפחות.
Last edited by marselmartin on Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

JackBean
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by JackBean » Tue May 18, 2010 3:21 pm

IMHO that depends. For me would be the hardest the last one, but for someone, who doesn't like/know the photosynthesis and plant biochemistry may not like the first one ;)

1. yes, photosynthesis and glycolysis and TCA and oxidative phosphorylation. Basically the main metabolic pathways ;)

2. you might also include why did they change (need for lack of the blue spots (to hide) or no need to warn other animals, that they are poisonous;)
http://www.biolib.cz/en/main/

Cis or trans? That's what matters.