polycistronic = multigenic

Genetics as it applies to evolution, molecular biology, and medical aspects.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

simpleton
Garter
Garter

polycistronic = multigenic

Post by simpleton » Thu May 06, 2010 7:59 am

Does polycistronic means multigenic? What I understood was polycistronic means that a mRNA molecule code for multiple proteins with spacer and overlapping genes while multigenic just means that a mRNA codes for multiple proteins (no overlapping between genes)?

but then i see that many reference use this two terms interchangeable! now i'm confused. can anyone help?
THANKS! :wink:

Orome
Garter
Garter

Post by Orome » Fri May 07, 2010 12:50 pm

No, multigenic = Describing an inherited characteristic that is specified by a combination of multiple genes
Next time, try google first...

kolean
Coral
Coral

Post by kolean » Fri May 07, 2010 5:57 pm

Polycistronic means more than two genes is transcribed into RNA (does not have to be mRNA (protein encoding), because there are polycistronic miRNAs and other noncoding RNA clusters). Multigenic means more than one gene, in which those genes function to a certain characteristic (and the genes do not have to be in the same place).

Now, if the polycistronic genes work together to described 'an inheritable characteristic' that means those genes have evolved to work together just for that characteristic, then they can also be multigenic. So it can be confusing in this particular instance.

JackBean
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by JackBean » Fri May 07, 2010 6:51 pm

so, like lac operon can be multigenic?

If so, than probably most (if not all) operons (=polycistronic, right?) are multigenic, right?
http://www.biolib.cz/en/main/

Cis or trans? That's what matters.

simpleton
Garter
Garter

Post by simpleton » Sat May 08, 2010 4:08 pm

it's really confusing! Orome, i did google but i found different definitions and can't conclude.

and in the book, principles of genetic it says that multigenic means that the mRNA contains the coding regions of two or more genes. Then in a lecture note from a Uni, the lecture note wrote polycistronic (multigenic)... in which it implies that the 2 terms are the same.

it's really confusing! omg!

simpleton
Garter
Garter

Post by simpleton » Sat May 08, 2010 4:22 pm

Multigenic
Description: Many genes are involved in the expression of a trait.
Source: Specialized encyclopedia and dictionaries

Polycistronic messages have multiple ORF's in one transcript and also have small regions of untranslated sequence between each ORF.

But this multigenic definition (as also mentioned by Orome) is different from my textbook. Hmm.. confusing enough!